What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

The tiger was computer, yeah. But great - vivid, lustrous..... real.

It's in 3-D. And Lee has the full palette of modern digital cinema to use and he more or less goes balls out. It's kind of a symphony to the state of the art in digital cinema.

A little too much god-bothering for my liking, but once you accept that what you're watching story-wise is a whisper-thin allegory, you can just lean back and enjoy a master at work.

The first 100 pages of the novel are about god, he only mentions the tiger once. Okay if it's 3-D I'll give it another chance since 3-D generally looks shite in 2-D.

They mention that a lot at the start. There's scenes where they basically say to each other we fucked up their country and now we have to stick to our guns so that all the other countries we fucked up don't get any ideas.

I didn't get the Carter thing either though. When he started talking I thought he was going to give all the credit to the CIA lad, when he got to "I wish I could have taken credit" I walked out. The conceited fucker.

If they ended the film when
they are on the plane and just out of Iran
then I'd have said grand, great film. Instead, we are treated to 5 minutes of AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!!! after that, whilst Ben Affleck does a Clint Eastwood.

They mention that a lot at the start. There's scenes where they basically say to each other we fucked up their country and now we have to stick to our guns so that all the other countries we fucked up don't get any ideas.

I didn't get the Carter thing either though. When he started talking I thought he was going to give all the credit to the CIA lad, when he got to "I wish I could have taken credit" I walked out. The conceited fucker.

then I'd have said grand, great film. Instead, we are treated to 5 minutes of AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!!! after that, whilst Ben Affleck does a Clint Eastwood.

Hardly, I remember the same thing being said about the end of Rescue Dawn. "Oh look it's a big Fuck yeah america moment" Well yeah obviously, it's based on a true fucking story and the truth is that Americans like nothing more than celebrating their achievements with parades and meddles and the likes. It would be remiss of Herzog/Affleck to leave that out of their films to avoid glorifying America.

Virtually every British story about similar feats ends with a stiff handshake from some respected figure of some sort and yeah that's how the brits do it and yeah it's in the fucking film (I can't actually think of an example of this off hand, There's a great Doc about the lads held captive on a plane by the PLO in the 70s that ends this way though, Just a lot of "well done chaps, not too shaken i hope ?") no big deal but when someone goes and shows yanks congratulating the shit out of each other it's suddenly "propaganda". Bollox. That's what they're like, I don't see the sense in leaving that shit out.

I haven't a clue why the Jimmy Carter part was in there but it plays over the fucking credits, so it's barely even part of the film and he comes across like a fucking tool, which may be the point after all.

Every American I spoke to about it said they remembered the story and all bought the Canadian ruse.
I think the film needed that cover up closure for those that were familiar with the history, which is most of Americans of a certain age. All the ol' lads in my work have been to see it.
Can't remember the last time they talked about a film.

Also helps paint Affleck's character as a guy not doing it for the glory but because he's a true hero, just trying to get those people home. Like he himself was just trying to get home. (sniff)

Rocky III - Very enjoyable..highlight-Clubber Lang causing agro at Rockies statue unveiling...brilliant

First Blood - Still terrific after all these years.Spotted a young ginger lad off CSI..

Rocky IV - What can I say,Dragos on steroids and Rocky grows a beard to defeat him...one thing though..

WTF were they thinking with the fucking ROBOT?!

Classic.

Extra-Sightseers-008.jpg

brilliant
a bit uncomfortable to begin with but the characters soon grow on you and shit gets hilarious. the soundtrack works brilliantly too.

Since Sunday I've watched the following

Margin Call - Ensemble drama about the financial crises. The script's a little clunky but it's quite gripping and the performances are solid.

Lawless - Crap. They used every cliche in the book. The cast were all average with the exception of Guy Pearce who's great. The re-working of contemporary rock songs by the likes of Bowie and Iron & Wine in the Appalachian style was the final straw for me. I turned it off. Really disappointing,

Red Lights - De Niro, Sigourney Weaver and Cillian Murphy in a paranormal drama about scientists debunking psychics and mediums. Enjoyable hokum. Murphy is the best thing in this.

Lawless - Crap. They used every cliche in the book. The cast were all average with the exception of Guy Pearce who's great. The re-working of contemporary rock songs by the likes of Bowie and Iron & Wine in the Appalachian style was the final straw for me. I turned it off. Really disappointing,

For me Shia Labeouf brought the whole thing down. I liked almost everything else about it. Including Jessica Chastain.

For me Shia Labeouf brought the whole thing down. I liked almost everything else about it. Including Jessica Chastain.

he's a jackass.

i liked her willingness to do nudity but i don't buy her as someone from that era. her skin's too flawless, her hair's too shiny and she looks like she eats healthy and goes to yoga. She just looks to modern to convince.

her skin's too flawless, her hair's too shiny and she looks like she eats healthy and goes to yoga. She just looks to modern to convince.

Same with every bird in every period thing almost. All the perfect teeth in Boardwalk Empire etc.

Some things you have to let slide, suspend disbelief.

Same with every bird in every period thing almost. All the perfect teeth in Boardwalk Empire etc.

Some things you have to let slide, suspend disbelief.

Agreed but there's better actresses suited to period dramas. Billie in Boardwalk Empire, for example, looks the part. Same with the Lawyer woman Nucky has a flirty thing with. Jessica Chastain looks like a wood nymph. Wasn't buying her at all as a tough Chicgao dancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back