What movie did you watch last night? (16 Viewers)

Also the naming day and christening combo is a bit "cake and eat it".

Hardly. We attended the christening, then had a seperate thing for the naming day while the whole family was around. Being a dick about it would be refusing to attend a christening.

What makes it tricky though is figuring out what's going to insult people. A reasoned statement about the known facts, may be just as insulting to someone as calling their entire faith a bullshit lie.

This really belongs in the Fuck Religion thread!

Hardly. We attended the christening, then had a seperate thing for the naming day while the whole family was around.
Fair enough, it sounded more combined initially. Also, no invite?

What makes it tricky though is figuring out what's going to insult people. A reasoned statement about the known facts, may be just as insulting to someone as calling their entire faith a bullshit lie.
No need even go that far. To each his own, if they can't accept that then they're the ones being dicks, which they shouldn't be being.

Your only duty is to be honest.If being honest makes you a dick.So be it.

But you're not a dick.God just made you smart.

Some of the mumbo jumbo I've had to debunk for my youngwan,that her grandparents do be telling her..make yer eyes water.

Shes only 6..but she knows we were once amoebas..and thats that.

Hardly. We attended the christening, then had a seperate thing for the naming day while the whole family was around. Being a dick about it would be refusing to attend a christening.

This really belongs in the Fuck Religion thread!

I'm the godfather to my nephew and I really didn't want to be, told my sister for weeks that she'd be better off getting someone who believed in all that to do it but she was having none of it. In the end it was easier not to have a big fight over it.

Argo
Very good.

Jesus though the Jimmy Carter quote at the end...I like the man, but you can see exactly why he is so hated.
"..and we did it peacefully"

What the fuck. I know 99.9% of the reason Iran is so fucked up is the direct fault of the US and Britian, but if your citizens are kidnapped you send in the helicopters.

I'm glad it's not just me that watched that film, and at the end was sitting there going "But what about the way you lot fucked that entire country up in the first place!" when Ben Affleck was doing his Clint Eastwood shit

Well the prologue gave (what is to my limited understanding of the history) a fair enough history of the fall of Mossadegh and a couple of time the CIA guys and Carter administration guys mentioned the fuck ups involved.

The Master

original.jpg

I realise this has it's own thread but I like this one fine, thank you. So after There Will Be Blood I though to myself PT Anderson was heading down the Stanley Kubrick route, he's making films which look inventive, feel authentic and deal with the kind of tough somewhat impenetrable characters that made Kubrick the master of a adult difficult cinema, I thought I can't wait to see what he does next. I thought here's a guy who can only get better. Fair play to him, and so when I heard that the next thing he was up to was taking on Scientology (allegedly) I thought sweet this is going to be everything I could want in a movie.

So with bated breath I went to see tha Master and I can say that he has gotten that little bit closer to rubbing shoulders with Kubrick. But in the worst possible way. Kubricks last film - Eyes Wide Shut- was his worst film that's pretty much a given, most people agree on this. It made orgies look boring and unfortunately fell flat on it's face because neither Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman seemed to "get" what Stan was asking them to do. As a result the performanes were flat and the characters seemed bland and un-engaging and for all of Kubricks brilliance he couldn't quite fashion a world that seemed as seedy and sureal as he might have wanted. Maybe he wasn't as much of a sex freak as he needed to be to pull it off. Maybe David "kinky" Lynch should have taken him aside and whispered some filth in his ear but either way it didn't work it never fit together properly and really it just went nowhere. It was one of those missed opportunities that occur every once in a while. Like Shutter Island (why do I keep mentioning this film ? I don't know)

For me Anderson has just made his Eyes Wide Shut. But in this case the performances are brilliant everyone is fully on board with what he's doing but unfortunately, somewhere along the line someone seemed to get lost and as a result you as a viewer never quite gets fully engaged with anyone or anything that's happening. On the surface it's a fine film, it looks great, Juaquin Pheonix is playing a sort of lost son of Daniel Day Lewis's Henry Plainview character from There Will Be Blood, right down to the bad posture. He's excellant as a bad tempered, unhinged, unpredictable loser. Phillip Seymore Hoffman is equally assured as the brooding eccentric, charismatic Ron L..... wait sorry he's called Lancaster Dodd and Amy Adams is fantastic as his wife. The problem lies in the fact that The Master sets it's self up briliantly. The charachters are extremely difficult to like but I did find myself caring about them towards the end, there's an interesting exploration of scientology as a vaugue bat shit crazy hypnosis based cult which could well simply be a con being made up on the spot to take money from the weak. This starts to head towards a conclusion and then........ nothing really gets explored any further. I do like films in which the audience is expected draw their own conclusions but here it feels far more like we are expected to fill in gaps and as such the film ends up only existing as a fascinating surface with little depth. Somewhat impenitrable and cold and unsatisfying. Like Eyes Wide Shut and far too similar in tone and execution to There Will Be Blood file The Master under missed opportunity.

I'm glad it's not just me that watched that film, and at the end was sitting there going "But what about the way you lot fucked that entire country up in the first place!" when Ben Affleck was doing his Clint Eastwood shit

They mention that a lot at the start. There's scenes where they basically say to each other we fucked up their country and now we have to stick to our guns so that all the other countries we fucked up don't get any ideas.

I didn't get the Carter thing either though. When he started talking I thought he was going to give all the credit to the CIA lad, when he got to "I wish I could have taken credit" I walked out. The conceited fucker.

I know I have the horn for all humans but Sam Rockwell is the man of my dreams.

My mate saw a screening of 7 Psychos last night with Rockwell in attendance. So there's a Q&A and.... I'll let him tell it.

Sadly Rick O Fuckin Shea was handling the mic and the questions were garbage.
At one point some film student wannabe asked a standard dim student question "Do you find yourself playing to type and how do you prepare for a role like this etc.."
To which Rockwell just answered "Yeah, something like that".

The man is all quality.

My mate saw a screening of 7 Psychos last night with Rockwell in attendance. So there's a Q&A and.... I'll let him tell it.

The man is all quality.

Ha, I was working at that. The Q&A from the audience was painful. They always are at these things.

Edit: wait, no i was at the London one. Similarly shite questions from the audience.

Ha, I was working at that. The Q&A from the audience was painful. They always are at these things.

Edit: wait, no i was at the London one. Similarly shite questions from the audience.

Those things are usually painful, I generally gtfo before they start.

Unless it's someone I want to hear from, like Tarantino or David Simon.

Colm Meany did a great one for Intermission at a festival I was at in the US. But usually they're godawful affairs.

Those things are usually painful, I generally gtfo before they start.

Unless it's someone I want to hear from, like Tarantino or David Simon.

Colm Meany did a great one for Intermission at a festival I was at in the US. But usually they're godawful affairs.

Yeah the other night some Irish girl stood up and said into the mike "I have a question. My friend wants to know if the girl handing out the microphones is single", obviously expecting a big reaction from the crowd. There were a few titters and McDonagh, Rockwell and the producer just started talking amongst themselves. I was cringing. They wrapped the Q&A at that point.

Yeah the other night some Irish girl stood up and said into the mike "I have a question. My friend wants to know if the girl handing out the microphones is single", obviously expecting a big reaction from the crowd. There were a few titters and McDonagh, Rockwell and the producer just started talking amongst themselves. I was cringing. They wrapped the Q&A at that point.

The Colm Meany one was at the height of Colin Farrell mania in the US

Female gushing questioner "Colin Farrell does a cover of I Fought The Law at the end of the film. Do you know if he will be recording any more music?"

Meany "I fuckin' hope not" (looks to host to indicate next question)

I have a recording of Weerner Herzogs Q and A after into the abyss. It's pure quality. there's an article about it on thumped somewhere.

Q and A quality depends on the depth of the subject matter I think. i'd have liked to ask Colin Farrell about The Long Way Back or The New World or Rockwell about Moon for example.

The man is all quality.

Ah, as if I needed more reasons to think this is the actual best person on the effing planet.

The tiger was computer, yeah. But great - vivid, lustrous..... real.

It's in 3-D. And Lee has the full palette of modern digital cinema to use and he more or less goes balls out. It's kind of a symphony to the state of the art in digital cinema.

A little too much god-bothering for my liking, but once you accept that what you're watching story-wise is a whisper-thin allegory, you can just lean back and enjoy a master at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back