What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Darklands: the Welsh Wickerman. Not bad, bloody, makes sense, although at times it may no seem to. A lot of what happens is part of a ritual. Pagans sacrifice a pig and leave it in a church, maybe they thought it would be cured.

AM i the only Craig Fairbass fanboy in the world?

Watched The Keep, bit crazy, production values not great. Gabriel Byrne as a scenery eating SS officer. Ian MacKellan in a proto Magneto role.The Undead dafeat the SS but then...

Yeah loved Rust & Bone. I reckon the Orca did it deliberately. I've had enough of your stale fish!

Yeah saw that last weekend, Marion Cotillard - what an absolute joy to watch in every sense.

Last night:
Amour-1.jpg

Masterful as ever from Haneke.

Haven't posted here in ages but here's what I've seen recently.

Argo

argo-ben-affleck-movie-posters-ggnoads.jpg

Ben Affleck has an oscar you know, he won it before he married a woman with an enourmous arse and commit acting career suicide by joining forces with Micheal Bay to stick their collective dicks in a historic tragedy and make an asteroid movie where the highlight was Steve Buscemi riding a bomb. Yup he's a colourful lad aright. Recently he's divorced the megalomaniac with a huge arse and made several very good films, The Town and Gone Baby Gone in which he either doesn't act or gives himself a tough guy role where he holds the film together without having to be charismatic or try to hard and as a reslut everyone he assembles around him get to act their little socks off and so the films work. He may not be the worlds greatest actor, but, he knows and he sure can direct well. If you need proof just watch the first 10 minutes of this it's absolute balls to the wall tension and from then on it rattles along at a good pace and gives enough space and time to John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston and Scoot McNairy (excellent here, as he was in the recent Killing Them Softly) to do their thing and be them brilliant selves. Affleck is actually quite good playing the tough guy under extreme pressure while the circus plays out around him, in the same way that Mark Wallberg was good in The Fighter, in other words you don't really notice him too much and this is the main point of his role. Affleck the director, has studied the 70s espionage films like The Conversation well enough recreate the look and feel of them excellently but it's a lot better than an homage or plain rip off.He's not trying to be clever or go the meta root with the fake movie inside a real movie about a fake movie thing thank christ. He knows how to build up tension it's gripping throughout and by the end I was near the edge of my seat. Highly Recomended.

Undertow in english or Contracorriente in spanish.

Contracorriente.jpg

Feel like watching a slightly supernatural gay love story about a fisherman and a painter in a small town in coastal Peru? I sure did !

Excellent acting, well scripted and beautifuly directed. The film has a real point to make about the visibility of gay couples and does it as literally as you could possibly imagine, however the whole thing is so well made and gentle that it's more moving than mawkish throughout. I'm not gay so I can't really make any valid observations or arguments about gay culture - it's relation to wider culture, tradition or religion plus i don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, but I'd imagine if you are gay this is probably doubly interesting and moving. It's touching well worth seeing. Unless you're a raging homophobe then you can fuck off and watch Romper Stomper while polishing your knives. You fucking idiot.

Morvern Callar.

morvern-callar2.jpg

Lynne Ramsey recently directed We Need To Talk About Kevin which made me feel kind of ill, in a good way. This is her second film from back in 2002. It's one of the best films of the century so far. It's brilliant in every way a film should be. It looks brilliant, the soundtracks brilliant, the plot is simple but brilliant, the central performance by Samantha Morton is brilliant and the whole film is simply brilliant. It moves along at a deliberate pace and never passes any pointless crass judgements on the actions of the carachters. Highly recomended it's not an easy watch, but then films shouldn't nessisarily be easy. Morally ambiguous, odd and beautiful plus Samantha Morton once again proves that she's not Emily Watson. Which is nice.

Morvern Callar.

morvern-callar2.jpg

Lynne Ramsey recently directed We Need To Talk About Kevin which made me feel kind of ill, in a good way. This is her second film from back in 2002. It's one of the best films of the century so far. It's brilliant in every way a film should be. It looks brilliant, the soundtracks brilliant, the plot is simple but brilliant, the central performance by Samantha Morton is brilliant and the whole film is simply brilliant. It moves along at a deliberate pace and never passes any pointless crass judgements on the actions of the carachters. Highly recomended it's not an easy watch, but then films shouldn't nessisarily be easy. Morally ambiguous, odd and beautiful plus Samantha Morton once again proves that she's not Emily Watson. Which is nice.

Watched part of that in the cinema field at Glastonbury one year shortly after taking mushrooms for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back