What movie did you watch last night? (53 Viewers)

Norwegian Wood
tt1270842

Difficult one to adapt for the screen I'd imagine. Missing loads of the narrative insight you get from the book. Still with the cinematographer who did In the Mood for Love and a Jonny Greenwood score, the movie always looks and feels incredibly beautiful. Long and slow-moving but a good watch all the same.

Why are you guys opting to go to the 3D screening when usually there is a 2D screening also?

i was really, really cagey about avengers in 3d but since it was on the new big screen in blanch / digital / 24 channel surround i took a chance. 3d was perfect, no issues with picture brightness levels or anything like that.

safe-poster_4.jpg

He is not the key and does not crack any code, but he does give some nefarious types an unmerciful beating. Easily the best thing Statham has done in the not-ridiculous genre (i.e other than Transporter 2 and the Cranks). Also there is a good 70s crime picture type score by Mark Mothersbaugh.

The Ides Of March

Clooney directed political drama. In a nutshell - politics corrupts. What a revelation.

Jeff Who Lives At Home. Yeah Jeff is 30 and lives in his Mas (Susan Saradon) basement. Smokes a lot of weed, gets a phone call, someone looking for a Kevin. Jeff sees great significance in this. He sets forth on an errand for his Ma and also in search of Kevin. First one he meets mugs him. A day of coincidences and misadventures ensue. His Ma has a secret admirer at work. His Brothers marriage is in trouble. Quirky lean film, comes in under 90 minutes. ****

url

North by Northwest

north-by-northwest-poster-13.jpg

Classic Hitchcock. Complexly plotted buetifully filmed with charasmatic performances by a brilliant cast. Two classic set pieces one on the heads of the moutn rushmore presidents and one which is simply a classic moment of cinema begining with the words 'that plane is dusting crops where there aint no crops". What stands out though is the witty and slightly fithy banter between Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. At a time when the U.S censors were running riot (I think at one stage you couldn't have a kiss that lasted more than 3 seconds) Hitchcock really does his level best to make their dalliance as provocative as possible. I bet the scene where the train goes into the tunnel (which has been ripped off a lot since) really got up the noses of the nay saying puritant cunts.

Well worth seeing even if you've seen it before.

Last night; Rambo: First Blood, balanced out with Herzog's Encounters from the End of the World. Also saw Monsieur Lazhar in the cinema last week. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of each and every one of them.

220px-God_bless_america_ver2.jpg

It was as much fun as the trailer suggested it would be.
Though if you have seen the trailer you have pretty much seen the film
(with one small exception, there is actually a gag constructed in the trailer from 2 different bits of the film - very odd)

It's made on a shoestring, the final scene which is supposed to be American Idol or somesuch looks more like the Eurosong episode of Father Ted.

He captures the tone of American TV perfectly, the Bill O'Reilley and Glenn Beck clones are perfect. And scenes of him in the office are brilliant.

It still falls short somehow. Something about the tone. You get the feeling watching it, that while it's great, with a bit more polish, a bit more downbeat, and a better director it could have been a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back