What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

Fell asleep during Dark side of the moon - not before drunkenly exclaiming the following statement: "What the fuck is going on here?"

As a disclaimer, I had a morbid curiosity to see what John Malcovich, Francis McDormand & John Tuturro did for their obviously too ample to turn down pay cheques...

Also this

drive-latest-movie-poster.jpg

Very stylish and intermittently very violent. Nicholas Wingding (sp?) has an obvious hard-on for Michael Mann.

I didn't buy all of it, the relationship with Gosling and Mulligan in particular.
But it has Oscar Isaac in it and Albert Brooks is fucking brilliant.

Actually might go see it again.

This is great. 80s as fuck. Refn is not only a man who know how to direct a film, but he's the head off Chris Penn (see below). Must check out Fear X and his Miss Marple film one of the days.

MV5BMTUyMTIyMzk2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjUyNjYz._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

surreal Czech fantasy/horror/coming of age tale. strange
Valerie-and-Her-Week-of-Wonders-DVD.jpg

mildly amusing national lampoon film featuring anthony keidis' dad
51H7YN8XDBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

quite depressing but excellent 60s horror by michael reeves (made witchfinder general. committed suicide at 25)
sorcerers-poster.preview.jpg

Yeah this was great. He builds up the tension superbly. Had to turn away from some of the more gruesome scenes

Also this

drive-latest-movie-poster.jpg

Very stylish and intermittently very violent. Nicholas Wingding (sp?) has an obvious hard-on for Michael Mann.

I didn't buy all of it, the relationship with Gosling and Mulligan in particular.
But it has Oscar Isaac in it and Albert Brooks is fucking brilliant.

Actually might go see it again.

This evening:

B00004CYFG.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nico, one of Seagal's best.

machete-movie-poster2.jpg

Machete. awesome/10

Yesterday

troll_hunter.jpg

Troll hunter. highly entertaining, and the trolls didn't look like shit.

DirtyDozen.jpg

The dirty dozen. ace.

DirtyDozen.jpg

The dirty dozen. ace.

I like the way that poster pretty much just shows Lee Marvin. Twice. Pretty much any other film (one not also containing a Bronson or a Mifune anyway) and you'd probably just think it'd be fair enough, because Lee Marvin probably would be a badder motherfucker than the entire rest of the cast combined.

BunrakuPoster.jpg

Kind of like martial arts theatre or something, or maybe if Dogville had less allegory and more fighting and a few sets. Amazingly stylised set design, pretty much looks like a theatrical set all the time (except in the parts where it looks like a pop-up book) without ever being constrained.

Josh Hartnett and Gackt (some J-pop guy, possibly the Japanese Andy Lau or something.) turn up to take on Ron Perlman and his gang of numbered killers. Fight choreography is by Larnell Stovall (Undisputed III), and it almost is literally choreography at times, if this had been made in the 50s Gene Kelly wouldn't have looked out of place in it.

This is almost a great film. As John Giles might say, it does some of the things the great films would do, but it also does things the great films would never do. (possibly this could be extended to some form of analogy like grafting Maradona's head onto the body of a Kilbane, the ideas might be there but the execution would leave something to be desired) I liked what they were trying to do more than they actually managed to do, but it doesn't fall that far short. It could probably have been scripted a bit more tightly, but it's more about the look than anything else.

Also, for a film that's so heavily stylised, that poster is a terrible generic looking piece of crap.

51J356R7TNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Les Chevaliers du Ciel was filmed in co-operation with the French Air Force. Initially the standard safety rules applied, but eventually the minimum allowed altitude was reduced to 3 m (10 ft) and the minimum distance between aircraft was reduced to 1 m (3 ft).[citation needed] The filming of these flight sequences seen in the film were mainly done from the air, as opposed to Top Gun where most of the filming was done from the ground.

a refined version of top gun in french, sponsored by volkswagen and apple. i enjoyed the fuck out of it.

MV5BMjIyMjMxODIwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTAxOTM4Mw@@._V1._SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

Kind of occupying the middle ground between the driving bits of old school noir films and Lost Highway if they'd spent more time on the actual highway.

Thomas Jane (also directing) and Lauren German are lost in the desert, they almost hit an almost dead guy who seems to know more about them than they do about each other. Almost dead guy becomes dead guy, etc.

It's shot really nicely, obvious blue screeining going on, but it's fake background for old school effect rather than trying to look real, works pretty well. More time spent in a car than anything I can think of except Cohen & Tate, and this has one less annoying kid and one more Ron Perlman. This week I am mostly watching films which contain at least one Ron Perlman.

Your picture's not working @ratmonkey ; but that sounds pretty good, especially the Ron Perlman part.

It's Dark Country. It doesn't entirely hold together perfectly plotwise, but it's worth watching. Also, it's under the 90 minute mark which I tend to appreciate in a film, unless there's an actual valid reason to make it longer. I really don't get why a lot of films drag on, when tightening the script would improve them and mean less filming and less cost (or same cost but do a better job of filming less). Not saying long running time is inherently bad, Love Exposure is about 4 hours long and one of the best things of recent years, but long running time that doesn't actually say or do anything interesting tends to annoy me. I digress.

Also, Ron Perlman's part is pretty minor. He's not the almost dead guy.

I really don't get why a lot of films drag on, when tightening the script would improve them and mean less filming and less cost (or same cost but do a better job of filming less).

Also, Ron Perlman's part is pretty minor. He's not the almost dead guy.

Three words for you there, Tree of Life. I'd say the meandering nonsense (gloriously beautiful and utterly bonkers as it is) probably cost half the budget and it doesn't totally need to exist.

I'm kind of averse to Malick after the Thin Red Line, didn't like at all. And I watched it twice in case my disliking was down to me thinking that Jim Jesus and that other guy were the same person until pretty close to the end. Might just have been the voiceovers or something, those were particularly annoying.

quest-for-fire-poster.jpg

Ron Perlman, Big Ed from Twin Peaks and some other guy are cavemen looking for fire for their tribe, encountering other tribes, mammoths, lions with prosthetic teeth and Rae Dawn Chong from Commando. This is good, all the dialogue is in made up caveman talk with no subtitles. Ron P is especially simian.

p_66807.jpg

Ron Perlman runs a mental hospital infested with nefarious killer CGI rats. Not one of his or Tibor Takacs' (to be precise, I, Madman was a lot better and that's the only other of his I've seen) finer hours.

Also it could do with being more like this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back