What gig did you go to last night? (3 Viewers)

Incidentally, I was dying to chat to him after the gig on sunday, but he seems really shy and I didn't detect he'd welcome being approached. And I recall him being a bit like that the last time I talked to him after his sugar club gig a few years back (with Johann Johannsson - and wasn't that final piece a lovely tribute).

Specifically I wanted to ask him about his touring schedule. He's playing a show in Latvia, but out in the middle of nowhere, close to where my other-half is from. I've never known anyone, ever, to play a gig in that town (Cēsis) before, yet there it was listed on his schedule. I'd love to know how that came about.

I suppose Kilkenny was obscure enough too. Like why not Galway, Belfast or Cork?

On Friday I went to see Red Queen Contest and IF in Navan.

Red Queen Contest's album came out 10 years ago and the band is no longer going. Lads abroad etc. So this was a 10th anniversary reunion gig/party. Packed. Loads of people I knew there, lots of great chats. Local good time reggae influenced band IF played too. They're class. Great night.

Sunburned Hand of the Man in Anseo on Friday and Sunday. I had a ticket for Saturday but didn't make it. I enjoyed Friday but bailed out early on Sunday as it was getting on my nerves.

Izumi Kimura & Gerry Hemingway in The Cooler on Sunday, before SHotM. I didn't need a cover of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down but despite that it was very good over all. My first time in the Cooler, it's really nice.

Sunburned Hand of the Man in Anseo on Friday and Sunday. I had a ticket for Saturday but didn't make it. I enjoyed Friday but bailed out early on Sunday as it was getting on my nerves.

Izumi Kimura & Gerry Hemingway in The Cooler on Sunday, before SHotM. I didn't need a cover of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down but despite that it was very good over all. My first time in the Cooler, it's really nice.
Was at the Saturday night of Sunburned Hand of the Man, great fun.

How did I not see you on Friday?

Jim Jefferies in Galway. Missed Glen Wool and most of Andrew Maxwell's sets, but, it was good. Seats were better than Vicar Street's. Still odd to see a comedy set in a leasureplex.

Jim Jones All Stars upstairs in Whelan's.
Look,it's rock'n'roll you either like it or you just haven't heard it. And I like it!

Great gig altogether. Very poorly promoted by all accounts but the room wasn't empty. Didn't phase Jim and the gang they worked their bollicks off and got the place rocking.
I don't know. I can think of about 50 people who missed out badly.

Jim Jones is bona fide legend.

Wouldn't be mad about the sound in that room .. couldn't really hear the words.

Anyhoo,I'm gonna go see them somewhere a bit more salubrious in the near future.

They were pretty good alright. I thought the vocals were too low as well.

Good to see you there Gaz.
Likewise G! I met @Lolo there too whom I haven't seen in about 25years

The issue with that show last night was the stage volume was too loud for that puny PA. The horns and piano coulda been louder too.

Still class though and I knew what he was singing most of the time cos I saw them before with good sound

saw slowdive last night. first time ever seeing them. was into the creation label in a big way when i was a young fella so it was nostalgic to finally see them live. not bad, was loving it in some parts, less so others. when they did the whole wall of noise thing it was tops - which is really what i liked about them at the time if i'm honest. mixed age crowd. first time seeing a gig in the national stadium - bit of a strange place for gigs imo (odd shape)

I went to the Sunday night of Haunted Dancehall in NCH.

Lee Gamble - very good, would have liked a seat.
Lucretia Dalt - not my thing.
Kali Malone - her compositions are a bit boring but the organ was amazing. I haven't really listened to a real huge pipe organ since I stopped going to mass c1990. It's this huge old contraption on the wall radiating these amazing sounds, I thought I was in that novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. People left the room in their droves between songs

my wife went to katatonia last night and said it was one of the best gigs she's been to in ages.
I didn’t know they were playing. I saw them in 2001 in the Shelter and they were deadly.

I went to the Sunday night of Haunted Dancehall in NCH.

Lee Gamble - very good, would have liked a seat.
Lucretia Dalt - not my thing.
Kali Malone - her compositions are a bit boring but the organ was amazing. I haven't really listened to a real huge pipe organ since I stopped going to mass c1990. It's this huge old contraption on the wall radiating these amazing sounds, I thought I was in that novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. People left the room in their droves between songs
I wanted to go to Haunted Dancehall but need to save money at the moment. Kali Malone sounds great, I’d be all over that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the organ in the NCH used before.

I believe that there's a bit of a shoegaze revival with the kids at the moment and Slowdive are the genzie gazer band of choice.
to be fair, slowdive were the original shoegaze band for which the term was coined. it wasn't even a term of endearment to begin with. it was music press derision, and it was funny. there seems to be a lot of cultural revision about it these days. i'd say jim and william reid take particular offense at being tagged as shoegaze :D

worst part was when everyone pulled out their torches on their phones and started waving them around for a particularly sad/mellow tune they played. saps

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back