What gig did you go to last night? (6 Viewers)

Codeine in whelans. The support act was Matthew Nolan and Adrian Crowley.
They played an interesting set, I was not aware of Mathew Nolan until this concert but will check his stuff out.
Codeine started at 9:30 and played an amazing albeit brief 70 minute set. Kudos to the man in the crowd who twice carried out repairs to the drum kit.
Sea was the highlight of the set for me.
Chris Brokaw was very friendly to everyone who went to the merch desk.

Codeine also. Loved it. Enjoyed what I caught of Adrian Crowley and Matthew Nolan, first time I've seen either of them.

RATOS DE PORAO played nearly all the songs I wanted to hear. About 3/4 of the crowd were from Brazil.
My favourite part was when RDP played a run of songs of their first two LPs and a couple of TERVEET KADET covers, The Brazilians at the front were shouting along in Finnish!

EDIT: I stand corrected. Joao Gordo rewrote the TK lyrics in Portuguese.

At some point about 1983/84, folks in Sao Paulo took a big interest in Finnish hardcore punk and Finnish bands (e.g. RATTUS and TK) had Brazilian pressings of their records then. Many years later both RATTUS and TK toured Brazil.
Max Cavalera regularly cities these Finnish bands as big influences.

RDP released an EP covering 1982 TK material in the last year.

A Finnish band FORCA MACABRA returned the favour: from 1993 they played Sao Paolo HC style with Portuguese vocals and covered tunes from old Sao Paulo bands inc. RDP.
I don't know of a band doing this before Forca Macabra but other bands ran with this idea since - playing a style of punk music from another part of the world and singing in the native (non English) language.

Last edited:
Judge John Hodgman in Liberty Hall. Gotta love Liberty Hall. Excellently low tech.

Took the opportunity to get the bus in and out seeing as how the NX bus stop is beside Liberty Hall. Overall not worth it. €24 return for two people plus lots of waiting. Would have been home in bed over an hour earlier if we drove.

Band of friends / pat McManus in whelans on Thursday. Enjoyable and great to finally see Pat McManus after years of bad timing for me.but his sound was dreadful.

Primordial in McHugh's in Drogheda on Friday.
Venue was like a better Whelan's. Great gig,plenty of messing ,totally had that " warm up gig' relaxed atmosphere.

Band of friends / pat McManus in whelans on Thursday. Enjoyable and great to finally see Pat McManus after years of bad timing for me.but his sound was dreadful.
I did not know this was happening...

Was it busy? Have been wondering how many Band of friends get in.

Primordial in McHugh's in Drogheda on Friday.
Venue was like a better Whelan's. Great gig,plenty of messing ,totally had that " warm up gig' relaxed atmosphere.
yea he goes for a weird processed tone these days. A few years ago it was a bit more "guitar into amp".

I've been in McHughs for a record fair and thought it would be cool for a good gig.

I went to Muse and it was good fun.

Not a brilliant night for a gig. A wet Wednesday out in the Point, standing with your coat in your hands. But they don't shy away from being a fun band. Lots of hits. There are definitely some backing tracks going on at times. And the theater of the whole thing is...what it is. Just enjoyed it, being at a gig with a bunch of normies with their phones out. Bellamy's vocals sounding quite low and strained at times, but not sure if that's the venue and my ear plugs.

Big gigs are so weird man.

London African Gospel Choir doing Graceland in the NCH.
It was too quiet which was a bit of a barrier to people getting into it. Though by the end everyone was having fun.
Another bus experiment. Fail. Walked in plenty of time to get the 5.40 NX into Dublin. It never arrived so we waited 90 minutes in the rain for a poxy bus. I was very close to just walking home but my son insisted we wait and get on the next bus (his girlfriend was meeting us there). Bus eventually arrived and we made it to the NCH wet at 8.05 and had to mooch our was into our seats while the Choir were doing their opening set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back