What gig did you go to last night? (8 Viewers)

Actually, genuinely, it was amazing. Set design, a string section, Jarvis comporting himself like golf clubs shot out of a canon. Quite possibly the best stage show I've ever seen.

At the other end of London, a random said to me "good gig", I'm confused. She said "we were sitting in the row behind you".

Last edited:
Went back to Hammersmith last night for round two. Missed Lisa again. Though I did see her join Pulp for the encore of the encore of the encore. This time it was due to train strikes and engineering work. Took me six trains. Six. Fucking. Trains.

Then there was an after party thing. I had fun. Hope I didn't embarrase myself.

Can relate -
I went to my first gig aged 17 and second one shortly before I was 28.
My third gig was well into my 30's.
In 2019 aged 43/44 I went more gigs (about 18) than whole of my life before that.
Much easier to go to things on yer own in my experience.

I went to see Philip Selway on friday in the big cathedral here in Kilkenny. He was playing with the Irish Chamber Orchestra as part of the arts festival down here.

Really lovely gig. Some of his compositions are are wonderful, but others of his songs are not so strong. Having the ICO with him carried the weaker songs, and elevated the stronger ones.

By his own admission he's a drummer, so turning his hand to the piano, guitar and bass at different points during the night must have been somewhat daunting for him.

He comes across as a genuinely lovely guy too, often cracking jokes about the differences between this setup and that of Radiohead.

Other than Selway, I went to the Carducci Quartet yesterday, who were playing a variety of classical pieces. It was a lunchtime show in a small church, and it was lovely.

There were also 'secret garden shows' on in different venues over the weekend. We made one on saturday, a fiddler named Liam O'Connor who played some nice trad pieces for 30 mins or so. We missed one we wanted to go to yesterday because we got the times mixed up. We found out after that the act was the Carducci Quarter, so we'd just seen them anyway, so not the end of the world.

From pure curiosity we went to an interpretative dance thing on saturday afternoon. I still have no clue what any of it was about, but shur fair play to them.

Saw Pat McManus in Navan last night.
Great night. I was hit and miss about going but my old HBM bud showed up and we went together and had pints. Pat's gigs in Navan really bring out an odd crowd. Let's just leave it at that.
Good chats and Pat was playing a beautiful Flying V, couldn't cop the make. It wasn't Gibson anyway. It seemed huge on him. I've seen him better but, hey, a free gig 10 minutes walk from my gaff. Can't complain.

Saw Pat McManus in Navan last night.
Great night. I was hit and miss about going but my old HBM bud showed up and we went together and had pints. Pat's gigs in Navan really bring out an odd crowd. Let's just leave it at that.
Good chats and Pat was playing a beautiful Flying V, couldn't cop the make. It wasn't Gibson anyway. It seemed huge on him. I've seen him better but, hey, a free gig 10 minutes walk from my gaff. Can't complain.
That Flying V is an Edwards Guitar. Don't know anything about them.

found this, they're made my ESP

Swans.

Michael Gira played acoustic guitar so it wasn’t quite as loud as normal. Still, good gig. Saw @moose but at a distance. Some dickhead young fella kept throwing his arms around me and shouting in my ear, words had to be had.

Swans.

Michael Gira played acoustic guitar so it wasn’t quite as loud as normal. Still, good gig. Saw @moose but at a distance. Some dickhead young fella kept throwing his arms around me and shouting in my ear, words had to be had.

It was a nice volume for a Monday. Dana was the star of the show imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back