What gig did you go to last night? (3 Viewers)

I hated every last one of them without exception and with a completely unfair passion, you couldn't pay me to listen to them. I was just the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The folky stuff was really just Damien Rice /Glen Hansard/Mundy and their imitators driving me demented in college.
Ok fair enough but I think by the standards of the time Dublin had a pretty good crop of instrumental bands. The post rocky ones were a bit more arty, a bit less "here's the pretty bit and then here comes the big crescendo" than some of the groups that were big at the time. And the more mathy ones were definitely less macho, atonal than the British or a lot of the American countrerparts.

It was definitely annoying at the time though that there were so many. And that it seemed you either had a choice between groups of musician all of whom too shy to go near a microphone or singers so self-engrossed that they made you sit down to listen to them and spent as much time explaining every song as they did singing it.

yeah, really good fun, lots of nice people there.
Bohs bar is great - love going there.
I wonder what's going to happen when Dalymount is being rebuilt ?
The hut will get busy gig wise. Not sure if there's anything else going venue wise, for small diy hardcore gigs

My Fellow Sponges.

I've probably gone to see these guys about 25 times now. They are the rare entity of a coming together of people that really clicks in a pretty wonderful way. Actually thought they were spilt up months ago. Anyhow stupidly good show, great playing, jamming and all. They've some amazing songs altogether. Also they played a fair few songs from the respective solo releases of the two writers in the band. They might never play a show again but I hope they do

SLF/New Model Army/Therapy? Custom House Square in belfast.

Got a free ticket.so thought what the hell.

Drove up,hoping to see Toy Dolls but they must have gone on as the gates were opening I got there at about 7 (gates at 6) and missed them.

Therapy? Early gigs by them were some of the best gigs ever. Last time I saw them Fyffe was still drumming and I've not really paid attention since. Justsomething too cheesy now about them. Meh!!

New Model Army were great,starting to get dark so they got to put the lights to use. A good few recent tunes that really are great. Great band,I should make more of an effort to see them.

SLF in belfast. The venue was strangely fancy even though it's outside,and to think I'm old enough to remember pretty much the belfast that many of the songs are about,I dunno it was odd. Last time I saw them in belfast was 87. It was rough as fuck,huge fights etc,but even going to the gig thenthere was a lot of run down and derelict after bombs of course buildings etc. This time going to the venue it was all fancy bars and restauraunts etcand everything so clean and fancy and lively.
I know I shouldn't complain,and I'm not. But it was odd,probably just the contrast.

Still,they were great,lots of hits and a few more recent tunes. Sometimes Jake Burns could shut up,and I like when bands talk about the song. But they were good.

Anyway,glad I went. Saw a few mates I'd not seen in a long time,and enjoyed most of the tunes despite the expected terrible outside sound. I like seeing SLF every other time they play,so no doubt will go see them again. Probably happy enough with seeing them in the academy though.

SLF/New Model Army/Therapy? Custom House Square in belfast.

Got a free ticket.so thought what the hell.

Drove up,hoping to see Toy Dolls but they must have gone on as the gates were opening I got there at about 7 (gates at 6) and missed them.

Therapy? Early gigs by them were some of the best gigs ever. Last time I saw them Fyffe was still drumming and I've not really paid attention since. Justsomething too cheesy now about them. Meh!!

New Model Army were great,starting to get dark so they got to put the lights to use. A good few recent tunes that really are great. Great band,I should make more of an effort to see them.

SLF in belfast. The venue was strangely fancy even though it's outside,and to think I'm old enough to remember pretty much the belfast that many of the songs are about,I dunno it was odd. Last time I saw them in belfast was 87. It was rough as fuck,huge fights etc,but even going to the gig thenthere was a lot of run down and derelict after bombs of course buildings etc. This time going to the venue it was all fancy bars and restauraunts etcand everything so clean and fancy and lively.
I know I shouldn't complain,and I'm not. But it was odd,probably just the contrast.

Still,they were great,lots of hits and a few more recent tunes. Sometimes Jake Burns could shut up,and I like when bands talk about the song. But they were good.

Anyway,glad I went. Saw a few mates I'd not seen in a long time,and enjoyed most of the tunes despite the expected terrible outside sound. I like seeing SLF every other time they play,so no doubt will go see them again. Probably happy enough with seeing them in the academy though.

I was at this too. The satnav took us on the scenic route so we missed The Toy Dolls.
Therapy? Are good at what they do. I saw them years ago with Babes in a toyland when they were much more BigBlack style aggressive, and later with Cop Shoot Cop when they'd changed their sound and became huge. I'm not really a fan but it was nice to hear those 90s songs again.
It was great to see NMA at last. I realised I've barely scratched the surface of their back catalogue so only knew about three songs. It was great to hear 51st State and I love the World live.
SLF, great tunes. Not as fast and hard hitting as their younger version but good all the same. A few of my mates were complaining that they sounded old and slow. I figured if it's a 'proper' punk gig you want there's probably some kids playing in a bar somewhere, and this salubrious do with portaloos and security etc is probably not what you're looking for.
All in all I had a great time and as always with these things catching up with old mates is what it's mainly about.

Was at SLF in the Academy. Got a spare ticket off a mate a few days beforehand. Really enjoyed them. I actually preferred the newer folkier sounding stuff. Have to say they weee tight as fuck. I actually didn’t mind Jake Burns stories between tunes, normally that sort of stuff would drive me nuts but I thought he was pretty interesting. I did think Alternative Ulster sounded like it was played at half speed.

Also enjoyed Paranoid Visions beforehand, first time seeing them

I was too young for gigs when I was listening to Nurse on tape back in the day. Went to see them a couple of years ago on the Troublegum tour, was not expecting the whole 'everyone having a good time?' vibe.

Still, listening to Teethgrinder playing Mortal Kombat on the megadrive wuz goodtimes.

I have to say Therapy?'s "It's ok not to be ok" song made me cringe hard. It sounds like a government-sponsored youth reach anthem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back