What Do You Think of This For An Idea? (1 Viewer)

good idea

a singles club has to 45s only. No CDs.

Don't like CDs with video content - have said this loads of times. Makes ripping individual tracks onto CDR a nightmare.

ehm, that's not what i meant
i was basing it on the USB key idea

You can now buy your music downloads from Indiecater and get them in the post a couple of days later via a USB memory key.

Records on a USB key

Might be handy if you're on dialup or couldn't be arsed waiting for something to download. Would love your feedback.

can't see it working, if you're gonna post something out to folk then it may as well be a cd

Thats a bit stupid!

Heres why

1) too complicated
2) i dont wont to send stuff back
3) tiny market
4) youd have to scan every key thats sent back for viruses
5) more effective methods of delivering mp3z to the consumer already exist
6) its physical media without the benefits of physical media eg artwork etc etc

I could probably think of a few more!

Yeah, I don't think the USB thing is such a great idea for all the reasons people have already mentioned.

But .. the thing Maims Bond said about what Of Montreal did is really good. I'd go for that ....

Don't like raining on parades,I'm not a raining in parades person,but as a marketing concept its got more holes in it than a hobo's shoe.
I did'nt get where I am today by not recognising when a marketing concept has more holes in it than a hobo's shoe.
Bit of a cock up on the distribution front vis a vis not being as straightforward as a simple download.
Ltd edition cd's would be the way to go.

Knockout.

Super.

True.

How about the pay for the download and the CD arrives by post anon?

Trying to avoid going down the CD route if at all possible - aren't they dead?

USB keys are reusable so they are friendly to the environment (jeez I am starting to believe my own hype at this stage). They make great gifts for your music loving siblings on christmas morning too. You can fit about 15 albums on a 1GB one too.

[Kneels down and prays for a positive response]

you could give people sheet music. for electronic music, detailed descriptions of how the tune was made, software used etc.

Thanks all for your input, really appreciate it. Am getting the impression that most of you aren’t giving the thumbs up! I guess this will probably only suit a tiny minority of those who visit the site but we’ve sold a couple in the last 24 hours so perhaps it’s worth trying it on a low run.

6) its physical media without the benefits of physical media eg artwork etc etc

I wouldn't go for it myself and that's the reason why.

Maybe you could sell ltd edition digipacs or even cardboard sleeves?

People could burn them to cd at home or maybe you could do the cdrs yourself?

Anyone know if this Lightscribe stuff is any use?

The concerns about the USB thing are valid and might put people off. I do like the idea of a basic subscription for the year. Say for a basic €25 or €30 we get 10 releases a year with the odd special xmas release or extra remixes or live tracks as sweetners. Your track record of great releases and re-issues gives me confidence that my cash would be well spent. LOL at the usb in the shape as a cat comment!

if you had an amazing catalogue or had a 'you can get absolutley anything from us' policy people might like it.Like if i could mail you and say I what some obscoure live recording by x that noone else is gonna have...

You know.

i was talkin bout this to somone recently, i think we (or maybe i) concluded that usb's would good for a gigging band as they are easier carried home then cd's, over cdr's or tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back