What Do Artists Do All Day? (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

Seriously. what do these lazy fucks do with their lives?

But really seriously. recently came across a youtube playlist of a documentary series of thread title name. Been watching one or two a day for the last week or so. each only half hour long. BBC4 production, made last year I think. Really interesting watch. love these types of insights into creative types. few faves so far...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

his daily 'routine' seems a little all over the place judging by that half hour on him. imagine anyone under deadlines like these guys are under serious pressure to produce. someone should do a comic on him!
I'm saving it to watch later. He must be able to demand huge money if he isn't under pressure to be drawing all day and all night.

Lucky sod

I know one full time artist and he paints and paints and paints and then paints more then he paints more then paints and then after that he paints.

Comhghall Casey - Artist

One of my friends just had his first exhibition and still has a day job, but basically from what I can gather his life isn't that dissimilar, he goes to work and then he comes home and and he paints and paints and paints and then paints more then he paints more then paints and then after that he paints.

Nick Cave approaches things like a nine to fiver. He has an office that he goes to in the morning to write.

Must watch these videos.

For me, an artist (as in a painter, sculptor, etc), my appreciation is in their expertise. Sure, anyone can paint something weird and call it 'creative' but to do something technically perfect, it requires a lot of practice and subject matter knowledge. Like those madsers that can create a mini-diorama out of a book or carve what looks like the Sistine Chapel roof on the top of a pencil.

I'm saving it to watch later. He must be able to demand huge money if he isn't under pressure to be drawing all day and all night.

Lucky sod

What's the trick to getting to that level?

Is it like individual sports, where you already have to have an innate talent and then work/practice like crazy at it to get to the top?
Or is there actually an element of luck, like music or fashion - being spotted and mentored or whatever?

Mostly luck afaics - afaics visual arts are hit-based, like music, except it's the artist who's the hit rather than the work of art

So you have to have X level of skill/talent/brass neck to buy a ticket in the lottery, and there are certain things you can do to get yourself more tickets, but one way or the other it's still a lottery

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back