What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

Thats just my opinion. I loved Kitchen Confidential. Most of his others are fictional stories based around food and crime. I find hes better when writing about things hes actually experienced. A Cooks Tour is good enough next best anyways, thats the second one

yeah would definitely delve into more of his non fiction stuff. Not too enticed by the fictional stuff.

'Some Hope' by Edward St. Aubyn.
Really good-similar to Graham Greene or Evelyn Waugh. Mordant, sarcastic but also sympathetic depiction of a family falling apart through drink and drugs.

Finished Emmet Grogans novel. Final Score- I was curious to read it after reading his autobiography.(Ringolevio- mentioned elsewhere in this thread)

Its a bit shit though-

Characters that just seem to act..out of character. Unbelievable premise, repetitive scenarios and a rushed anti-climatic, yet predictable ending

A disappointment

Stick to non-fiction, I'd tell him. If he wasn't dead.

'The discomfort zone'. I haven't read any other Franzen, first few stories were awkward; 'the foreign language' was the most affecting one for me.

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. enjoying it so far. The biggest slab of a book I have read in a long time.

Just finished The Devils Chaplain by Dawkins. I have admiration for and suspicion of Dawkins in equal measure.

I enjoyed the bookand his perspective on lots of things is interesting and worth reflecting on but his constant false modesty is very annoying and his scientist's belief that a bit of logic and clear thinking will fix the worlds problems doesn't wash with me. It's all a bit Star Trek.

Rejoined The Great War for Civilisation by Bob Fisk. the thing is quare thick. It's going to take me months to finish.

shamefully enough i read the peter andre autobiography..i picked it up for 2.99..absolutely shocking and the man has no sense of propriety..there are way too many details bout his and jordans sex life..which i insisted on reading out to the other half cos they were so gross...dont worry kids, i'm ashamed enough of myself for all of us...

"Sango Pater" by Jan Van Banjenck.
I want really this book. Someone it is checked it dies with a human condition inside of of time in the exceptional details. Enough piece of furniture.

"In the Time of Madness: Indonesia on the Edge of Chaos"...not exactly bedtime reading but it's really good so far..he covers it all from Borneo to East Itmor, I'm still on Borneo - where I have the urge to go now, the cultures and tribes just sound fascinating...as long as they don't eat my heart that is

just finished night watch by terry pratchett hilarious have to say its got a nice tinge of rebeling against the cause or teh machine witha dice of funniness and nonsensical humour classic pratchett

I am reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, having been inspired to do so by the excellent Capote film. Its excellent so far.

Before that I read Henry and June by Anais Nin, which was fleetingly great and incredibly interesting but not always enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back