What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

finished no country for old men by cormac mccarthy yesterday. excellent stuff, like raymond carver had been given a tarantino script to rewrite.

last book i read was 'dont you forget about me' by jaime clarke..its a book of essays about john hughes..some of them are deadly and others are self indulgent tripe..did make me wanna re-watch all of his 'brat-pack' films though..

now im thinking of re-starting everything is illuminated for the 600th time..or 'why everything bad is good for you'..

1134468499033.jpeg

Just finished this - really superb, like everything else that I've read by him.

Just finishing "Shroud for a Nightingale" by P.D. James, felt like something that wasn't too heavy after all the course reading of the last few months. Enjoyable read, I like the characterisation and the narrative style she uses. Not sure what's next but I have plenty of as yet unread books to chose from. Perhaps some Evelyn Waugh.

i'm in a terrible starting things before i finish other things state at the moment. currently in the middle of
kafka - metamorphosis and other stories (possibly the only person on earth who could make a man turning into a giant beetle tedious)
naomi wolf - fire with fire
john carey - what good are the arts?
f.c. ware - jimmy corrigan: the smartest kid on earth (anyone ever read this? the only graphic novel I've ever managed to stick with for more than a few pages. hugely depressing so far though)

Just finished 'Talking to the Dead' by Helen Dunmore - really really good
also have her short stories , 'Love of fat men' on the go.
Before that Magnus Mills' "All Quiet on the Orient Express" - fantastic!!

I finished 'walk the blue fields' by Claire Keegan. It's short stories and I'd really recommend it to anyone who likes John McGahern or Annie Proulx.

Before that Magnus Mills' "All Quiet on the Orient Express" - fantastic!!

He is the funniest writer ever! I just read that one a few books ago and have since read 'the scheme for full employment' which was side-splitting. I suggested 'the restraint of beasts ' for the book club back when it had it's own site. But 'All Quiet..' is probably my favourite (although I can't wait to read the rest of his work). Spared, sharp, simple, painfully funny.And grim. Never has banal British colloqualisms been rendered in such a gas manner.
Jesus, that character with the paper crown. All I could think of was Willie Ross!

Just begun William Maxwell's 'Time will darken it'.

51D4obBeKqL._AA240_.jpg

i think i love michael chabon. this reminded me of marge piercy's summer people (which is a little more twisted but also great, also set over a summer and featuring a love triangle with but-i-don't-sleep-with-your-gender-except-oops-now action). protagonist finishes college, is working in a bookshop, meets a guy who works in a library, starts going out with a girl from the library, gets entangled with the guy's friends, love triangle. also: twister games, papa the mobster, housesitting. this all sounds potentially shit but the storytelling is great, spare and very carefully thought out, and it's also not done in a comic way.

sucks that the book after this - about an architect building the perfect baseball park - never saw the light of day, because chabon x tortured architect = melty carbide.

He is the funniest writer ever! I just read that one a few books ago and have since read 'the scheme for full employment' which was side-splitting. I suggested 'the restraint of beasts ' for the book club back when it had it's own site. But 'All Quiet..' is probably my favourite (although I can't wait to read the rest of his work). Spared, sharp, simple, painfully funny.And grim. Never has banal British colloqualisms been rendered in such a gas manner.
Jesus, that character with the paper crown. All I could think of was Willie Ross!

Just begun William Maxwell's 'Time will darken it'.
yeh i hadn't heard of him before. the girlfriend urged me to buy 'The Scheme' when we came across it 2nd hand. I did enjoy it, but read 'All quiet' after and found if far funnier. Brilliantly surreal. I will read 'Restraint of Beasts' too but have to take a little break from him for the moment. Great writing though.

Just finished Lionel Shriver's 'The Post-birthday World'. Its nowhere near as good as 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'. It took me a while to get into it but I'm glad I stuck with it. It has a parallel universe structure which kept me interested but I found the portrait of the world of snooker a bit tedious.

Just finished Lionel Shriver's 'The Post-birthday World'. Its nowhere near as good as 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'. It took me a while to get into it but I'm glad I stuck with it. It has a parallel universe structure which kept me interested but I found the portrait of the world of snooker a bit tedious.

It's gotten a fair bit of pummelling from the critics alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back