What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

Illywhacker.gif

Love Peter Carey and a 100pgs in this one seems well up there

hmmm i was reading "jackie loves johnser ok" by neville thompson. one chapter is the boys then the second is the girls etc throughtout the book till they eventually combine. its written in the roddy doyle style language. simple story of a girl who falls head over heels for a boy who is a robber. but a real tear jerker at parts. suprisingly enjoyable got loads of awards and stuff

Middlemarch is deadly
Oops no, I'm thinking of "Brideshead revisited". That's deadly. Never read Middlemarch
I'm currently picking at a collection of Philip Larkin's prose writing, which is very good. His dismissal of modernism (exemplified by the 3 Ps - Picasso, Ezra Pound, Charlie Parker) is funny.

Middlemarch is deadly
Oops no, I'm thinking of "Brideshead revisited". That's deadly. Never read Middlemarch
I'm currently picking at a collection of Philip Larkin's prose writing, which is very good. His dismissal of modernism (exemplified by the 3 Ps - Picasso, Ezra Pound, Charlie Parker) is funny.

Thanks for telling me about his poetry by the way - deadly stuff.

I'm a few chapters into Vernon God Little. I can't say I'm too impressed. The style seems to be a cheap imitation of Catcher in the Rye. The prose isn't very natural and with each sentence you can sense the author trying to be clever, but it just comes across as very forced. Its a Booker prize winning book, so I was expecting more. I don't know, maybe it'll improve....

Anyone else read this?

Middlemarch is deadly

yea, what was it he said? something like "God be with the days when paintings actually looked like something, poems were about something and music was listenable". something like that anyway.you gotta love his old git persona.one of my fav poets

I'm a few chapters into Vernon God Little. I can't say I'm too impressed. The style seems to be a cheap imitation of Catcher in the Rye. The prose isn't very natural and with each sentence you can sense the author trying to be clever, but it just comes across as very forced. Its a Booker prize winning book, so I was expecting more. I don't know, maybe it'll improve....

Anyone else read this?

I thought it was good, but I know what you mean. It is quite similar to A Confederacy of Dunces in ways.

Anyone else read this?

Yeah, it's a dog of a book. All over the shop, the man is a total amateur. The Booker judges were on acid the year they awarded that one.

Last night I was reading a collection of bits n' pieces by John Updike called "More Matter"

Anyone else read this?

Apparently it was listed in some top 10 or 20 books people could never finish poll. Have to say found it an endurance.

I read The Great Gatsby last night.

It was good...

I want to get What Is The What by Dave Eggers but it's only out in America and it's really heavy. Does anyone have it, where'd you get it, how much and IS IT GOOD?

Cannabis: A history by Martin Booth. Good read so far, especially the parts dealing with legislation.

Currently juggling and thoroughly enjoying both "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain and "The Twenty-Seventh City" by Jonathan Franzen.

Kitchen Confidential is really good. Pity his other books were so rushed. None seem to come close to the first one

I finished Under the Greenwood Tree. Probably Hardy's best writing of the rural Dorset dialect; probably his funniest too (did I say that already?)

Am now reading the Well-Beloved (another Hardy).

It's about a successful sculpture who sees love as an essence or spirit that settles in one woman for a while and then leaves for another; he keeps pursuing it through several relationships, and tries to capture it in his sculptures. I didn't explain that well, but it's a good book.

Thats a pity as I do feel the urge to read more of his stuff.

Thats just my opinion. I loved Kitchen Confidential. Most of his others are fictional stories based around food and crime. I find hes better when writing about things hes actually experienced. A Cooks Tour is good enough next best anyways, thats the second one

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back