What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (11 Viewers)

like homer when he got snake's hair

%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%8B-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0-%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%8B-445393.jpeg

Anyone here read any of those Elena Ferrante novels? Thinking of giving them a go ...

The Pashtun Question: The Unresolved Key to the Future of Pakistan and Afghanistan by Abubakar Siddique

This is fascinating. It's all about the pashtuns who live in the border area between pakistan and afghanistan, their tribal customs, divisions between communist and islamist forces operating in afghanistan over the decades, interference and trouble making by pakistan, the rise of al-qaida's and gulf arab islamic fundamentalists in the region, the background to the rise and fall and not-unlikely rise again of the taliban. Pakistan sounds mental.

I'm reading one of the David Foster Wallace journalism collections, to see what the fuss is about and placate friends who have been trying to push Infinite Jest on me for the past decade. S'alright so far. The footnotes within footnotes within footnotes thing gets tiresome quickly but i've laughed out loud several times.

I'm going to have to re-read COD now to prove you all wrong. I'm going to audio-record myself laughing uproariously and upload that here.
Don't waste your time. I really struggled with it, as in forced myself to finish it. I didn't laugh once, I mean not once, not even at the rubber glove wanking scenes which I would usually find quite funny in a childish sort of way. If I hear anyone mention "retarded world view" or "mongoloid" again, I'm going to shoot them.

I'm reading one of the David Foster Wallace journalism collections, to see what the fuss is about and placate friends who have been trying to push Infinite Jest on me for the past decade. S'alright so far. The footnotes within footnotes within footnotes thing gets tiresome quickly but i've laughed out loud several times.

I have similar feelings about David Foster Wallace. Just can't bring myself to reading the humongous Infinite Jest, and have been looking for shorter recommendations. Might try that one.

Lots of footnotes in the Nicholson Baker I'm reading now. Not sure what I really think of this particular style, but it's actually making me wonder now how other writers actually avoid using them.

mezz.jpg

mezz2.jpg

finished the last of the game of thrones on monday so moved onto The Martian for a bit of light relief. Great stuff.

Amazon product ASIN 0091956145
Looking forward to the movie now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read A Game of Thrones on holiday. It was a choice between that and Martin McGuinness: From Guns to Government from the holiday apartment book swap shelf. Having never seen the tv show, I thought it was really good and I'll give the second book a go soon enough.

I'm back in the swing of reading every day, but currently its utter trash. I'd really appreciate a recommendation of a great contemporary novel.

I'm back in the swing of reading every day, but currently its utter trash. I'd really appreciate a recommendation of a great contemporary novel.
The last new book I read which I thought was great was Will Self's Umbrella. It's fairly dense and self-consciously postmodern but he makes it work.

As usual I have half a dozen books on the go, but my main fiction reading at the moment is a slog through Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea quartet (although I see there's since been a 5th one published). It's very, very good but not exactly friendly writing.

Look how cool the artwork to the first edition of the first one is though:

Wizard-of-Earthsea-by-Ursula-K-LeGuin.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back