What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

Reading the Bone Clocks.
Pretty good, but for some reason, I'm thinking his writing is almost deliberately below par in parts - to suit the given narrator.

51YK60QQsUL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished 10:04 by Ben Lerner, having read his first novel before that - Leaving The Atocha Station (following a trip to Madrid).
I have American Psycho lined up next.

Just finished 10:04 by Ben Lerner, having read his first novel before that - Leaving The Atocha Station (following a trip to Madrid).

AND WAS IT ANY GOOD?

As usual I have half a dozen books on the go, but my main fiction reading at the moment is a slog through Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea quartet (although I see there's since been a 5th one published). It's very, very good but not exactly friendly writing.

Look how cool the artwork to the first edition of the first one is though:

Wizard-of-Earthsea-by-Ursula-K-LeGuin.jpg

I'm on book 3 of this now, The Farthest Shore.
200px-TheFarthestShore%281stEd%29.jpg

Bizarrely the unfriendliness of them is now starting to become a really appealing thing, they're almost like texts carved in stone that have been around forever - although there's just a small level of humanity in there that stops them reading like the Silmarillion. It's a very strange way of writing that I've been struggling to describe to people :unsure:

Anyway it also means there's none of that Harry Potter style - "and here's a thing I clearly just made up to help people get out of this particular situation" *koff* timeturner* koff * solves every problem* koff*

Just finished William Gibson's new one, The Peripheral, which I enjoyed a lot once I figured out what the fuck was going on. Very weak ending though. Just read the first three chapters of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (one of a long list of books that I would assume I've read before but actually haven't). Unexpectedly hilarious. In a good way.

The Mackerel Plaza by Peter DeVries.
Amusing. Very amusing.

Revolutionary Iran: A history of the Islamic republic by Michael Axworthy.
A great read, covers the background to the 1979 revolution and the subsequent years right up to 2014.

Ritual by David Pinner. It's the book the Wicker Man was loosely based on. Big differences between the book and film, the book is set in the English countryside rather than a remote Scottish island, but all the weird occult shit is present. A lot of the dialogue is amusing but I can't tell if this is intentional or not.

image.jpg

go set a watchman (new harper lee book)

the outcome after a whole lot of tortuous prose and confusing conversation seems to be that scout has a revelation about the nature of her relationship with her father, which isn't all that interesting to be honest

Ritual by David Pinner. It's the book the Wicker Man was loosely based on. Big differences between the book and film, the book is set in the English countryside rather than a remote Scottish island, but all the weird occult shit is present. A lot of the dialogue is amusing but I can't tell if this is intentional or not.

View attachment 10713
This is an enjoyable read

i started reading an iris murdoch book last night, but it was incredibly dull so i've switched to sharon osbourne's second autobiography instead. much more entertaining.

it's dedicated to a pomeranian instead of to a chip on a shoulder about being anglo-irish for a start

Read The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan yesterday. Bought it for €1 in a charity shop. Pretty good - short paragraphs/ chapters, some just a line or two long.

The odd thing was that the narrator reminded me of @7 - No tomorrow - or rather his Thumped persona.

9780007377992.jpg

The last time someone said that about me it was in relation to the Steven Stelfox character in Kill Your Friends.
I think it was kind of meant as a compliment. But it was really no such thing.

The last time someone said that about me it was in relation to the Steven Stelfox character in Kill Your Friends.
I think it was kind of meant as a compliment. But it was really no such thing.

Ha! This fella is OK - solid, confident, articulate, slightly hiptser-ish.

Persona might be the wrong term - the aspect of someone's character that is presented to or perceived by others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back