What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

I usually have a fiction, a non fiction and an audiobook of either on the go. My book pile keeps going up rather than down though.

Me too. I jot down titles from this thread and put them on a wish list and grab one every month. I never have any idea but if two of you like it, I figure chances are good that I'll enjoy it. I'm going to start Richard Ford's Canada tonight because it's been sitting there awhile and I have no idea what it's about.

Finished Canada last night. It was okay. I liked the story and all but it seemed a very matter-of-fact style of writing, which was a little off putting. Like reading a police blotter or a court transcript.

He might have some points there, when I was an adolescent I read Animal Farm, 1984 and Lord Of The Flies, after that everything else seemed a little bit pointless.

Just finished Jack Karouac's Dharma Bums.

tumblr_m192t4MYIn1qaouh8o1_500.jpg

Now I don't know much about Buddhism, I know that, and I don't claim to. Jack Kerouac knows fuck all about Buddhism and wrote half a fucking novel about it. Which is fucking irritating because half of this is actually quite engrossing, lads drinking, having threesomes with hippy chicks and mountain climbing and long sections about hitchhicking which are great and even though I've never actually hitch hiked anywhere of note (except Blessington) it made me nostalgic for a time when that would be an acceptable possibility.

Unfortunately he just confuses everything by banging on about Buddhism - as far as I know the main dogma of which is the acceptance that you don't really know anything for certain. Okay well Jack, you could have accepted that and not banged on for 100 pages of a 300 page novel about trees existing only in the mind.

The problem is that Kerouac doesn't really understand his subject and so it's a frustrating and contradictory read.

Oh well, it's a pity because there's a good novel in here trying to get out. Perhaps that novel is On The Road part 2 though.

Did Kerouac essentially write the same book 4 or 5 times? I struggled through Desolation Angels a few years back and it was pretty similar to that description of Dharma Bums (i.e. a fairly engaging travelogue story about bumming around the U.S. with his bohemian buddies, but only after a hundred pages or so of impenetrable spiritual meandering at the start where he's on his own in a hut on a mountainside somewhere).

Did Kerouac essentially write the same book 4 or 5 times? I struggled through Desolation Angels a few years back and it was pretty similar to that description of Dharma Bums (i.e. a fairly engaging travelogue story about bumming around the U.S. with his bohemian buddies, but only after a hundred pages or so of impenetrable spiritual meandering at the start where he's on his own in a hut on a mountainside somewhere).
Sounds exactly like Dharma Bums. I know to avoid that one too now. Ta.

Nico, Songs The Never Play On the Radio by James Young. Funny, grim and tragic, but mainly funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back