What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (9 Viewers)

Reading a lot of weird fiction at the moment.

Last night was The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen. A doctor performs an operation on the brain of a girl, so she can see nature unbridled and the world as it actually is. She does, and it's too much for the mind to comprehend. That's the starting point anyway.
Huge influence on the writings of H. P. Lovecraft

I love that story. I read it on my honeymoon in Eurodisney.

So what would you say was the most difficult book that you did read all of? I'm trying to think...

I've read Finnegans Wake three times. Once in reverse (by chapter as opposed to page by page or word by word, I'm not mental).

Recent and current reading:
529392_10151756227473386_1249425665_n.jpg

1382103_10151756224283386_322471630_n.jpg

1454_10151751863558386_1480877603_n.jpg

1383358_10151727329478386_338177806_n.jpg

1234078_10151689359483386_1311802504_n.jpg

Details please. How do you find it, do you get much from it etc.

I read it the first time and found it very tough, didn't really know what was going on but enjoyed a lot of the puns. I read a few books after that including Ellman's biography of Joyce and Bishop's amazing Joyce's Book of the Dark and delved into it again. I got way more out of it, saw more of the links and "plots" running through it. I read it backwards the third time because another book recommended that. It didn't really add to the experience.

I would read it again.

Nazi Literature in The Americas. A cool writer according to that list. Sorry guys. This is great. A funny, easy, smart read. This guy is one of the greatest.

9780330510516.jpg

Just started The Origin of the Brunists. Someone mentioned him on here recently. I'd been meaning to read him for ages. Great opening chapter.
n52482.jpg

^ ^ ^ One hell of a book.

400000000000000072285_s4.jpg

Finished this recently, its either a thick pamphlet or a thin book but regardless, I rather enjoyed it even if it was a bit light on the WW2 period.
a-problem-from-hell-america-and-the-age-of-genocide.jpg

Have just started this and I have to say its extremely well written. There's no shortage of background information yet it still remains engaging and unputdownable. Highly recommended.

Finally reaching the end of The Goldfinch and have enjoyed every sentence in it. Tartt is really good at describing feelings simply yet spot on. It's hard to do without it seeming labored.

Great! Its on my Christmas list.

@Bernie Lomax - I saw a paperback in town somewhere (Hodges Figgis or Chapters). Same size as the hardback but with a soft cover...

a-problem-from-hell-america-and-the-age-of-genocide.jpg

Have just started this and I have to say its extremely well written. There's no shortage of background information yet it still remains engaging and unputdownable. Highly recommended.

She's a bigwig in the Obama administration now. Can't remember what her job is. Ambassador to the UN or something ...

I'm in the middle of re reading Wuthering Heights..havent read a book in a good few years.

LOVING IT

Going through a re-reading phase in recent weeks. Kind of knew, but still forgot just how much I liked these two easy reads.

Catherine O'Flynn - What Was Lost:
Lovely mood to this one

1376999_10202510639274244_689006480_n.jpg

Tom Rachman: The Imperfectionists:

Various characters working in the paper game. Chapter by chapter. Great stuff.

092611-imperfectionists.jpg

I'm reading St. Augustine's Confessions. It's taking me a while to get through it, I can only seem to manage it in small doses. Still, it's mostly enjoyable enough, his religious fervour is surprisingly appealing. I'm using it as a test run for City of God but at the pace I'm going that one's looking like a non-runner at this stage.

I'm reading St. Augustine's Confessions. It's taking me a while to get through it, I can only seem to manage it in small doses. Still, it's mostly enjoyable enough, his religious fervour is surprisingly appealing. I'm using it as a test run for City of God but at the pace I'm going that one's looking like a non-runner at this stage.

Sounds interesting.

I have a copy of Rousseau's confessions but haven't tried to tackle it yet
Confessions (Rousseau) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back