What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (20 Viewers)

Rousseau recounts an incident when, while a servant, he covered up his theft of a ribbon by framing a young girl — who was working in the house — for the crime. In addition, Rousseau explains the manner in which he disposes of his five children, whom he had out of wedlock with Thérèse Levasseur

Sounds like a prick. So far, all Augustine has confessed to is leading people from the path of Christ and wanking

Like all good murderers of children he's intimately involved in the founding of the very idea of childhood we have today.

As far as i know there's a fair amount of confessing to wanking as well. Comes up in all good auto-biographies. Reading about Sting's first year of masturbation in Broken Music is awkward. Or Adam Ant's vow to never wank and only have sex.

Like all good murderers of children he's intimately involved in the founding of the very idea of childhood we have today.

As far as i know there's a fair amount of confessing to wanking as well. Comes up in all good auto-biographies. Reading about Sting's first year of masturbation in Broken Music is awkward. Or Adam Ant's vow to never wank and only have sex.
Sounds like a prick. So far, all Augustine has confessed to is leading people from the path of Christ and wanking

Ha ha ha!!

Being Dead by Jim Crace. A middle aged couple are robbed and murdered by an unknown assailant on a secluded beach. Crace describes in detail what happens to their corpses when they lie undiscovered and exposed to the elements for several days. Disgustingly brilliant. Crace is probably my favourite British writer at the moment.

Being-Dead-by-Jim-Crace.png

finished Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch earlier.

loved it. generally have a hard time committing to fiction that touches on something like 800 pages. would happily have read a few 100 more. never felt as if any parts of it were unnecessary, despite being so long. roll on 2023 for the next one. must re-read the secret history soon

finished Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch earlier.

loved it. generally have a hard time committing to fiction that touches on something like 800 pages. would happily have read a few 100 more. never felt as if any parts of it were unnecessary, despite being so long. roll on 2023 for the next one. must re-read the secret history soon

Totally agree. Beautifully written. I know 800 pages seems daunting to most but it's worth it. The last 50 pages or so made me want to stop what I was doing and reach out to someone. Of course, I didn't though. I'm still in the glow of this book that I can't decide on the next.

yeah, difficult to kick start a new read after it. tried this morning with hundred year old man who climbed out a window and disappeared. put it away after five pages or so

Being Dead by Jim Crace. A middle aged couple are robbed and murdered by an unknown assailant on a secluded beach. Crace describes in detail what happens to their corpses when they lie undiscovered and exposed to the elements for several days. Disgustingly brilliant. Crace is probably my favourite British writer at the moment.

This sounds great. Going to give it a go this week

The Frontman: Bono (In the Name of Power) by Harry Browne

This is a very entertaining, if mildly cruel, hatchet-job on Bono's image/self-image as a do-gooder.

Next up... The Songs of Maldoror by Le Comte de Lautréamont. I'm not yet sure if I've given up on Augustine's Confessions.

I know nothing about it really, I've just had a look at the back for the first time:

Henry Miller said:
Lautréamont was a black messenger heralding the death of illusion and the nightmare of impotence to follow.

Whatever that means. I like not knowing what a book is about before starting in to it.

Whatever that means. I like not knowing what a book is about before starting in to it.

Me too. I jot down titles from this thread and put them on a wish list and grab one every month. I never have any idea but if two of you like it, I figure chances are good that I'll enjoy it. I'm going to start Richard Ford's Canada tonight because it's been sitting there awhile and I have no idea what it's about.

How Late It Was, How Late. Stream of conscious novel about a Glaswegian wino who gets beaten so badly by the police that he goes blind. Good stuff. Big influence on Irvine Welsh, apparently. Written in a working class Glaswegian dialect, but not as much as Trainspotting so if you've read that then this should be a breeze.
n128790.jpg

Wow you're flying through them Bernie. Not to mention 2 films every night.

I pay my respects to you!

Wow you're flying through them Bernie. Not to mention 2 films every night.

I pay my respects to you!
well, actually, i didn't get very far through the last one. it didn't interest me very much. i try to put in about 2 hours a day though (thankfully i have a long commute) and will usually pick up another book with about a third left of the current book and alternate between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back