What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

Never read any Coetzee, will have to get round to him alright.

on a completely different tack, to get my mind off college work i'm reading a chapter a night of this

dash-and-lilys-book-of-dares-716123.jpg

which is more of the same knowing new york teenage romance as in Nick and Norah. I'd say you'd totally like this @jonah if you didn't inexplicably and totally out of character dislike the first one.

It's obviously limited in what it's going to say about life but, good god, I have literally laughed out loud many times already, it is a damn funny book. I wish this book was read instead of all that twilight melodrama nonsense. If it got popular it would probably fall foul of the censors though since it's chock full of people cursing.

Never read any Coetzee, will have to get round to him alright.

on a completely different tack, to get my mind off college work i'm reading a chapter a night of this

dash-and-lilys-book-of-dares-716123.jpg

which is more of the same knowing new york teenage romance as in Nick and Norah. I'd say you'd totally like this @jonah if you didn't inexplicably and totally out of character dislike the first one.

It's obviously limited in what it's going to say about life but, good god, I have literally laughed out loud many times already, it is a damn funny book. I wish this book was read instead of all that twilight melodrama nonsense. If it got popular it would probably fall foul of the censors though since it's chock full of people cursing.

Even the memory of Nick and Norah makes me ill. I may give this a try.

Like the look of that. Must try it soon.

I'm reading Kelly Link again, for similar reasons (to take my mind off work, which has gone nuclear). She is possibly my favourite writer these days...

"What Jeremy likes about showers is the way you can stand there, surrounded by water and yet in absolutely no danger of drowning, and not think about things like whether you fucked up on the Spanish assignment, or why your mother is looking so worried."

"I used to go to thrift stores with my friends. We’d take the train into Boston, and go to the Garment District, which is this huge vintage clothing warehouse. Everything is arranged by color, and somehow that makes all of the clothes beautiful. It’s kind of like f you went through the wardrobe in the Narnia books, only instead of finding Aslan and the White Witch and horrible Eustace, you found this magical clothing world—instead of talking animals, there were feather boas and wedding dresses and bowling shoes, and paisley shirts and Doc Martens and everything hung up on racks so that first you have black dresses, all together, like the world’s largest indoor funeral, and then blue dresses—all the blues you can imagine—and then red dresses and so on. Pink-reds and orangey-reds and exit-light reds and candy reds. Sometimes I would close my eyes and Natasha and Natalie and Jake would drag me over to a rack, and rub a dress against my hand. 'Guess what color this is'."

images

prettymonsters.jpg

Go on then Jim Daniels, what book will I read by her? I'll read it after this one.

In fact we could make it this month's thumped book club thingy?

Did last month's book work out? I stayed away from the thread because I never got around to buying it.

I must object. I made some very thought-provoking and insightful comments on the few pages I managed to endure before tossing the book on the fire. I think we can safely blame Theodore Kaczynski for choosing the book in the first place and then not bothering to read it.

Yeah, and I blame him too for my inability to even start it. Next round, perhaps more successful? Anyone got any ideas to pitch?

Im planning to read this biography of Freud next. I hope to start it either tonight or tomorrow. Does that sound tempting at all?

97746.jpg

A New York Times bestseller, this is the most highly regarded biography of Freud ever written. To read this book is to enter the world of Sigmund Freud as never before: his family, his city, his professional struggles, his long fruitful and embattled life. Drawing on a vast store of unpublished documents, including hundreds of hitherto unknown or inaccessible letters, Peter Gay deals frankly with the controversies that have long swirled around Freud's impassioned friendships, his love life, and his theoretical innovations which, as Freud himself put it, agitated the sleep of mankind. 72 illustrations.

I think we can safely blame Theodore Kaczynski for choosing the book in the first place and then not bothering to read it.

Guilty as charged,sorry about that lads and lassies.I just wanted to give the book club thread a good kick up the hole and get it moving again.Ill definitely read the next book.promise.

Ah here .... a biography of Freud has pretty niche appeal, no? I would suggest sticking to fiction ...

Shaney kind of dealt a moral blow to the other one before it even got started. I probably then killed it off entirely. I don't know what the best way to go about doing this is ... our first attempt was hardly a success. Is there a rule-book out there for how to conduct an online book-club whose members are all pricks?

Maybe we could adopt a general approach of "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" - at least until everyone has read the book. I should have just said that I had finished The Slap and tried to hurry everyone along before launching an assault on it. Sorry everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back