What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

I suppose picking something that's more likely to be good would help too .... here's two suggestions

Kelly Link - never heard of her before Jim Daniels mentioned her and not the sort of thing I would normally read. But I would be happy to have a go ... sounds good. It has to be Pretty Monsters though as there are plenty of copies of that in the DCC library system.

JM Coetzee - also discussed a few pages back. I've read Disgrace before and I didn't like it much but that was ages ago. I'd be happy to read it again. Or something else by him.

Any other suggestions?

Above all though, for God's sake let's pick something Shaney is going to like.

Go on then Jim Daniels, what book will I read by her? I'll read it after this one.

In fact we could make it this month's thumped book club thingy?

The only thing, @ I is John, is that they are short stories, which don't appeal to a lot of people - myself included usually, strangely enough. But I love these.

Pretty Monsters seems to be the only one currently available in Dublin's bookshops. They both contain the stories "Magic for Beginners" and "The Faery Handbag" though, which are both ace.

Some reviewers have deemed the stories creepy/ almost horror/ fantasy, but I think they are charming, funny and slightly off-beat. Neil Gaiman said "she should be declared a national treasure", if that means anything to anyone. I'd love to see what some of you might think of them actually...

9780375400681.jpg

Started this, but I'm only going to read the introduction and 'Bartleby' for now.

I is John
Today I bought:
Tintin in the Congo by Hergé
Memoirs of an Anti-Semite by Gregor von Rezzori

My most RACIST evening of book buying ever.
That reminds me...

I like those suggestions. I'd suggest the Kristin Hersh book, mostly cos I'm reading it at the moment and its really good so far.

Kristin Hersh ok by me too ...

Guh, i'm not so sure i'd be any use at this. Here's my review: I love Kristin Hersh so fucking much and this book is obviously amazing in all ways.

Here's a song that Warpaint might write if they could string a tune together and not just have a nice 'sound'

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Work away obviously though, i'm just one moany voice among many

I think you should read it. I think it gives great insight to the workings of her slightly peculiar mind, particularly in relation to performing and the band in general.

Like the part I read last night for example described an early gig she played. I won't encroach on spoiler territory, just suffice to say 'WACKO'!

I have one TM album. That song is on it. I shall procure more.

I have one TM album. That song is on it. I shall procure more.

a lot of people say that's their best album but I don't agree. Or, at least I don't think that should be the first one people should get. It's kind of lacking the weirdness that makes their early stuff so good and wouldn't really encourage you to want to explore their music more.

Mind you a lot of other people say university is their best and I think it's their worst so.... yeah, no one should ever listen to me about anything.

Oh, nothing. After we've all read it we can come on here and debate how exactly we should categorize it. It'll be great.

What was our conclusion last time?

I know my conclusion was just rolling my eyes at you and jill hives

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back