What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

9780141026626H.jpg

Another righteous Monbiot manifesto, and a damn good read.

9780141026626H.jpg

Another righteous Monbiot manifesto, and a damn good read.

read that 2 years ago and made really great arguments and thoroughly interesting read

Recently:
9780747599043.jpg
9780747533542.jpg
9780374523039.jpg

I read a short story collection by this guy last year and I wasn't particularly impressed, but all these are great.
Clearly influenced by the likes of Jane Austen, Laurence Sterne, Voltaire, Jonathan Swift blah blah and he's consistently laugh out loud funny.

his name has came to me before but i've not read anything of his yet. where to start? any reccomendations

currently as well as being 88% through with "finnegans wake", i'm also in the middle of

john steinbeck - cannery row
ian mcewen - solar
oscar wilde - picture of dorian gray (as part of a book of "selected works" of oscar wilde)

read that 2 years ago and made really great arguments and thoroughly interesting read

his name has came to me before but i've not read anything of his yet. where to start? any reccomendations

Erm...yes, those three.
Start with 'Epitaph...' it's probably the easiest to get hold of.

homage2.jpg

its good, its annoying, and its annoying also.

I'm kind of losing the rag with it due to his continuous rattling off of acronyms and initialisms without explaining what or who the different groups are.

but its good too.

homage2.jpg

its good, its annoying, and its annoying also.

I'm kind of losing the rag with it due to his continuous rattling off of acronyms and initialisms without explaining what or who the different groups are.

but its good too.

Ah no, that's a great read. To understand the acronyms etc., either look them up on the internet or, more enjoyably, read Hugh Thomas' The Spanish Civil War, which is brilliant, especially on the background.
George Orwell reminds me of being 17 or so. :(

Ah no, that's a great read. To understand the acronyms etc., either look them up on the internet or, more enjoyably, read Hugh Thomas' The Spanish Civil War, which is brilliant, especially on the background.

reminds me of being 15, I win etc.

Just kidding, i've never read Homage to Catalonia but I got a complete novels of George Orwell from the library one summer when I was about 15 and liked the manics a bit much.

I was kind of disappointed when I discovered later on that he renounced pretty much all of them

Just kidding, i've never read Homage to Catalonia but I got a complete novels of George Orwell from the library one summer when I was about 15 and liked the manics a bit much.

I was kind of disappointed when I discovered later on that he renounced pretty much all of them

Orwell never renounced Richey.

i'm going to look into this. been meaning to get a book about the spanish civil war for ages

a good general book about spain is "ghosts of spain" by giles tremlett i thought but i'd like something more cfocused on the civil war

hainesbiog.jpg

Luke Haines - Bad Vibes

It's funny to read him ripping the piss out of mediocre 90s UK acts, felt fairly light in substance though. Not really a thorough enough dissection of the whole Britpop thing for it to be a worthwhile overview of that, or enough insight into his own music, with the stuff about the Auteurs etc mostly focused on the string of mishaps and bad decisions that supposedly contrived to prevent him becoming famous. That anonymous cello player must feel fairly hard done by, didn't seem like he did too much wrong besides a basic personality clash with Haines.

Attachments

• hainesbiog.jpg
    hainesbiog.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 29
I'm reading His Dark Materials again and trying to form an argument for an essay.

hummmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back