What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

I'm reading this right now

9780141383927.jpg

so far so good

well that was a bit absolutely amazing

I am almost a hundred years old; waiting for the end, and thinking about the beginning.

There are things I need to tell you, but would you listen if I told you how quickly time passes?

I know you are unable to imagine this.

Nevertheless, I can tell you that you will awake some day to find that your life has rushed by at a speed at once impossible and cruel. The most intense moments will seem to have occurred only yesterday, and nothing will have erased the pain and pleasure, the impossible intensity of love and its dog-leaping happiness, the bleak blackness of passions unrequited, or unexpressed, or unresolved.

And still the brain continues to yearn, continues to burn foolishly, with desire. My old man's brain is mocked by a body that still longs to stretch in the sun and form a beautiful shape in someone else's gaze, to lie under a blue sky and dream of helpless, selfless love, to behold itself, illuminated, in the golden light of another's eyes.

Time erodes us all.
I think i'm going to cry

I could recommend you a very good I book I just read? it's really good like........ fine.

I could recommend you a very good I book I just read? it's really good like........ fine.

thanks John. Much appreciated. Hope you're enjoying your new Blur single.

I was sort of sick yesterday so read about half of that Toltz book. It is very good. I'm kind of half worrying that maybe he should have stopped there and that it might go on a bit from now. Will find out soon.

OK I'm buying it. Based on that extract, it looks pretty fantastic..

I am almost a hundred years old; waiting for the end, and thinking about the beginning.

There are things I need to tell you, but would you listen if I told you how quickly time passes?

I know you are unable to imagine this.

Nevertheless, I can tell you that you will awake some day to find that your life has rushed by at a speed at once impossible and cruel. The most intense moments will seem to have occurred only yesterday, and nothing will have erased the pain and pleasure, the impossible intensity of love and its dog-leaping happiness, the bleak blackness of passions unrequited, or unexpressed, or unresolved.

And still the brain continues to yearn, continues to burn foolishly, with desire. My old man's brain is mocked by a body that still longs to stretch in the sun and form a beautiful shape in someone else's gaze, to lie under a blue sky and dream of helpless, selfless love, to behold itself, illuminated, in the golden light of another's eyes.

Time erodes us all.

well that was a bit absolutely amazing

I think i'm going to cry

what does this mean? (genuine question)

It was something Jill Hives mentioned a while back. Not bad, mildly engaging, but with a plot that follows the "and then-and then-and then" route. Plenty of talk about love, some danger, some tragedy and loss, hope and redemption.

But I don't really know - I've never been to a book club. It's just what I imagine they would have you reading! Maybe it was a bit mean!

It was something Jill Hives mentioned a while back.

bah!

Not bad, mildly engaging

If I ever wrote a book i'd kill myself if this was the review

Plenty of talk about love, some danger, some tragedy and loss, hope and redemption.

sounds amazing!

nah, just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. Faux-literature whose entire philosophy comes from the Shawshank Redemption and/or the last 20 minutes of American History X.

<PRETENTIOUS YAAAAAAAWN>

yeah, Jim Daniels gave a better answer

So which is a better Book Club, Oprah or Richard & Judy?

Finished two books and am half-way through another right now ...

Roberto Bolano: 2666. Monster of a book. It didn't blow me away like The Savage Detectives did but it's still mostly great stuff. Most people seem to think the "Part About The Crimes" is heavy going and too long but I found it not as gruesome as I expected, and not boring at all. It reads a bit like an American crime novel. I found the last part unconvincing and didn't really think it worked within the context of the overall book - but as a stand-alone novella it would have been fine. I'll probably read it again some day.

Philip Roth - Indignation. This was recommended on this thread as one of the better short/late Roth novels and it really is. I enjoyed it a lot more than Everyman or Exit Ghost. The scene in the Dean's office where he ends up puking is hilarious. I actually read this in one evening.

Don DeLillo - Falling Man. Halfway through this and to be honest I am struggling. It's not the first DeLillo I have read and I think I am coming to the conclusion that he is just not for me. I don't care about any of the characters. Their conversations are totally ridiculous - does anyone actually speak like that? I am failing to see any kind of point to it the whole thing. He might well be the Michael Mann of literature for me ....

Oh I mean't to add ... the first two were both borrowed from my local library. I have become a massive fan of the Dublin public libraries recently .. I think I'll start a thread about it.

Ha! Yeah on all counts, especially the pretentious yawn! When it comes to music, movies, food and books, I'm always getting into trouble with a capital P.

bah!

If I ever wrote a book i'd kill myself if this was the review

sounds amazing!

nah, just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. Faux-literature whose entire philosophy comes from the Shawshank Redemption and/or the last 20 minutes of American History X.

<PRETENTIOUS YAAAAAAAWN
>

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back