What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

The Rapture by Liz Jensen. Not my choice as it was chosen by a book club. Nothing I would have picked up myself but entertaining enough. Young troubled girl who may or may not predict natural disasters. Actually I didn't read it, I listened to it while baking and such. Nearly 13 hours of a posh British women speaking in my ear. I can't help but speak this way now. I was decorating cakes last night singing C is for Cookie in a posh accent.

I started JM Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians yesterday.
Not quite into it yet. I only have 2 or 3 of his books to read before I've done the lot and a rewarding enterprise it was, if you like serious books about serious ideas, as they appear to men in particular.

Ha! Did you see this the other week? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...l-writer-JM-Coetzee-for-having-no-talent.html
The only Coetzee I've read is this book of essays, which is excellent:
inner-workings-literary-essays-2000-2005.jpg

alqaeda.jpg

Very good. But .... all his books are basically about exactly the same thing.

Attachments

• alqaeda.jpg
    alqaeda.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 25
Ha! Did you see this the other week? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...l-writer-JM-Coetzee-for-having-no-talent.html
The only Coetzee I've read is this book of essays, which is excellent:
inner-workings-literary-essays-2000-2005.jpg

No, didn't read that, until now. I have no time for Martin Amis to be honest.
Haven't read that book of essays and haven'r read Disgrace, as it happens. The latter is next on my Coetzee list. My favourite so far has been The Master of Petersburg, which was very serious and gloomy altogether.

Anyway, now on this;

View attachment 5936

about the dictator Trujillo (in a sort of dramatised way) who ruled the Dominican Republic back in the 60s (I think). Anyone thats read 'Oscar Wao' by Junot Diaz will already know all about him. Reading that made me want to read this.

finished that (Feast of the Goat) book. Its a good story. Its a translation though, and I hate translations. Typically I steer clear. I need to read what the author wrote, not some interpretation by someone else. Anyway, I read this for the story and though it didn't translate exceptionally well (in that its not exactly always a flowing read), its a good book and a very interesting subject.

Also read this on my holidays

n1810.jpg

which is good. And most of this;

5e20820dd7a0948c4d4ec010.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

which is a nice enough read, but not quite my cup of tea (I expected it to be more about the Spanish Civil War, but so far (and I'm nearly finished), its not really).

2666.jpg

Just picked this up, eventually, yesterday and am about 40 pages in so far. I can't get into it properly for another while until I finish this blasted thesis but then it's full on into it. Who knew college academics had such steamy sex lives?

goths never stop you know. and instead of my usual gothyness, i've decended into the land of the kasabian fan by reading;

juliet-naked-hornby.jpg

I liked and hated it in relatively equal measures.

Read this the other night:
levi.jpg

Spoiled a bit by translationese, but good overall.
Favourite poem: 'The First Atlas'

Last night:
lodge.jpg

Attachments

• 4807_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg
    4807_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 0140174923.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    0140174923.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 4807_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg
    4807_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 0140174923.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    0140174923.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back