What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

there are some books that you know aren't going to get any better though. Or if the writing style is something you can't get comfortable with you know thats not gonna change. Persisting with books can be good - an example being Herzog by Saul Bellow, which only really gets going in the last third. 2 examples of books I hate/hated are Lolita by Nabokov (most uncomfortable read ever) and the one I'm tempted to throw aside now, The Gingerman. But seeing as its only 30 more pages, I'll force myself through it (in the same way you force yourself to drink lemsip when you're sick).

I only made it about three chapters into the Gingerman about 5 years ago. That was the one about the American studying here...or was he from the country? And the description of his wool clothes went on a bit too long? He was always hungry..... am I thinking of the same one? I'm very fickle when it comes to books. If it seems like work then I don't want to spend my free time doing it.

I only made it about three chapters into the Gingerman about 5 years ago. That was the one about the American studying here...or was he from the country? And the description of his wool clothes went on a bit too long? He was always hungry..... am I thinking of the same one? I'm very fickle when it comes to books. If it seems like work then I don't want to spend my free time doing it.

yes thats the one. The wife-beater guy. I don't like it much either.
Moods/Shaney, I hereby retract that statement about lemsip. I hate it but fully acknowledge that others like it and from now on will respect that fact by not making statements of this type. And I apologise too. But the analogy, from my perspective, is still a valid one.
Edit: everything I typed just there went onto a single line even though I typed it as 2 paragraphs. Trying again with some HTML tags.

no need to apologise to me scutter, i was just expressing and alternative viewpoint.

I used to be good for not giving up on books but a quick peruse of my goodreads account reveals that i have, in the last 6 months or so, abandoned the following books (in reverse order):

Kant by Roger Scruton
Congo Journey by Redmond O'Hanlon
First and Last Men by Olaf Stapledon
Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks
This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel J. Levitin
Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
Introducing Artificial Intelligence by Henry Brighton
The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks

I also only read 3 or 4of The Complete Essays of Monataigne but i was never planning to read all those in one go.

i've made 3 or 4 attempts at gravitys rainbow and the furthest i've gotten is about halfway. recently i have also given up on augie march (boring), the savage detectives (left it in a pub but was getting close to giving up anyway), down and dirty pictures (yawn), the last george pelecanos book (he's just rehashing the same plot and characters these days) and a serge gainsbourg bio (i don't care enough about him or his music)

I still haven't made it more than about 50 pages into the Last Man (Mary Shelley). It was a very thoughtful present though so I'll finish it some day

0349106673.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

moralpanics.jpg

Absolutely fascinating, I've read a lot of the literature around this subject, while people like Lessig are very good on the "freezing of innovation" aspects, this is by far the best I have read so far on the legal history of the copyright debate and an analysis of the rhetoric used.

Excellent!

I used to be good for not giving up on books but a quick peruse of my goodreads account reveals that i have, in the last 6 months or so, abandoned the following books (in reverse order):

Congo Journey by Redmond O'Hanlon

I liked this book a lot, but I'll grant you, it is heavy going and a bit repetitive. He hasn't really done anything of note since that. I sometimes wonder if that whole thing send him off the rails a bit.

moralpanics.jpg

Absolutely fascinating, I've read a lot of the literature around this subject, while people like Lessig are very good on the "freezing of innovation" aspects, this is by far the best I have read so far on the legal history of the copyright debate and an analysis of the rhetoric used.

Excellent!

You read that Copyrights, Copywrongs? I still have a copy of that lying about if you or anyone else wants it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back