What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis, Christos Papadimitriou

This exceptional graphic novel recounts the spiritual odyssey of philosopher Bertrand Russell. In his agonized search for absolute truth, Russell crosses paths with legendary thinkers like Gottlob Frege, David Hilbert, and Kurt Gödel, and finds a passionate student in the great Ludwig Wittgenstein. But his most ambitious goal—to establish unshakable logical foundations of mathematics—continues to loom before him. Through love and hate, peace and war, Russell persists in the dogged mission that threatens to claim both his career and his personal happiness, finally driving him to the brink of insanity.

very good

6493321.jpg

In the grand tradition of paying attention to someone as soon as they're dead, I've started A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, and he not yet cold in the ground.
Turns out America is not all corn dogs and jazz hands.

Most of the way through Roberto Belano's The Savage Detectives. Picked it up in the library largely prompted by earlier discussion of him on this thread. Holy shit. Really great great novel.

I'm obviously going to want to plough in to 2666 next but slightly put off by the thought of wading through 200+ pages of descriptions of murder, rape, mutilation etc .....

Just finished The Savage Detectives. I thought it was awesome. Just re-read some of the comments earlier on this thread about it - people either giving up reading it halfway through or else wishing they had. I found the whole extended middle section completely enthralling. It's not really possible to completely connect all the stories and events from the multiple narrators but I just read them as tons of little mini short-stories that revolve around the same cast of characters, and it works brilliantly.

I actually haven't read any novels in about 6 months or so because I've been reading non-fiction stuff related to a course I'm doing so it was nice to come back to something like this. Definitely going for 2666 next now ....

Under The Dome. Started reading it yesterday afternoon and finished it tonight, so it holds yer attention alright. A good, but ultimately disappointing, read.

Used to love everything by Stephen King, but haven't read him in about 10 years. Does he still come up with the goods, or is it an age thing?

i think i've only read two stephen king books - that one & The Stand, about 15 years ago - so i don't really know.

Used to love SK. Tried to re-read one of them a few years ago .... think it was The Shining. Had to give up after 100 pages or so. It just seemed so ... obvious or something. Though maybe that's because the guy has about 2000 books and once you have read two or three of them you have pretty much got it.

wonderboys.jpg

Finished this this morning. Had been threatening to read it for some time. Always some weirdness when there's a half-remembered movie version lodged in your long-term memory but this was still greatly enjoyable. He has a great easy way with words and its doesn't ever get bogged down, especially considering its a book about writing books (sort of.)

On to the highly recommended The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay next and am looking forward to it. Can't believe how long its been since finishing and enjoying a novel. I blame laptops and walking commutes.

I read The Snowflake Constant by Stephan Peter Jungk during the week. I bought it in 2002 and have been ignoring it since. very good, quite strange.

Giacopo Tigor, hero of Peter Stephan Jungk's extraordinary novel, is a professor of mathematics, a proponent of Euclidian geometry reeling from a succession of intellectual defeats sustained at the hands of the advocates of chaos theory. Unable any longer to face the life he has made, he goes AWOL in Europe, first to Paris, where he fulfils a boyhood dream to work in the theatre. But there he also experiences a vision that drives him onward to a greater quest: a journey which takes him to Mount Ararat and beyond, in search of the remains of Noah's Ark.

half way through Light In December by William Faulkner now. Never read any of his before, im finding it deadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back