What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (11 Viewers)

Re: The Book Did I Started Last Night

Super Dexta said:
did somebody call me?
miaowwwwww

She's a different cratur altogether these days, totally let herself go.

Seeing as this is the book thread, I read William Maxwell's Time Will Darken It. It's the first novel I've read by him and have to say it's just astonishing in terms of its subtlety and manages to be quite dramatic in a non-action kind of way. It's totally devastating; he actually writes the line "...that nobody loves, that there is no such thing as love."

And what a great title too.

Psychotic no 2 said:
Seeing as this is the book thread,

Oh yeah, lets talk about the books.

I got four Dear Bill books in the mail yesterday and am happily flying through them. Dear Bill is the funniest thing I've ever read.

Also have "Born to be Queen" in the post as well.

Private Eye books rule.

Currently reading "The Road that is not a Road, and the Open City, Ritoque, Chile"

About the Open City in Amereida, Chile. It's a new approach to architecture, town planning, community etc.

hanley said:
Just finished reading the curious incident of the dog in the night.
was really good

I really liked this book. So sad and funny at the same time. I just finished reading Cecelia 'Michael Jackson' Ahern's new one. Chirst, I feel like I've just binged on a giant bag of pick-n-mix. Bleh.

just read Mim Scala's Diary of a Teddy Boy

really good; following his life from his youth in London, and the birth of the 60s pop scene to travelling the world as a hippy, settling in Morocco in the 60s/70s.

great reading as you sit on the bus to work heading to your dead-end go- nowhere job (sob)

He lives in Carlow now and writes about fishing for local newpapers

Hippy
Pipem.GIF

Carlowman
mim_voyage.jpg

http://www.mimscala.co.uk/

Psychotic no 2 said:
I really liked this book. So sad and funny at the same time. I just finished reading Cecelia 'Michael Jackson' Ahern's new one. Chirst, I feel like I've just binged on a giant bag of pick-n-mix. Bleh.

I saw some awful woman reading it on the train a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was too hungover to chastise her.

Bellatrix said:
It can be said, without the slightest trace of hyperbole, that Cecelia "Bertie" Ahern writes like an averagely intelligent 13 year old.

I remember talking to a certain politician who was drinking in the stags one night. Details escape me (which means this sounds like mere speculation) but back in the day, bertie had a hand in selling off the old cablelink site in ballsbridge to a little known german publishing company for next to nothing. It came to pass that years later Celia wrote her little book out of boredom and somehow,to the astonishment of the publishing industry; managed to get signed for it and a couple more books. By a low-profile german owned publishing house.

Or somthing.

It's who you know, not how shit you are.

HitsLikeAGirl said:
I remember talking to a certain politician who was drinking in the stags one night. Details escape me (which means this sounds like mere speculation) but back in the day, bertie had a hand in selling off the old cablelink site in ballsbridge to a little known german publishing company for next to nothing. It came to pass that years later Celia wrote her little book out of boredom and somehow,to the astonishment of the publishing industry; managed to get signed for it and a couple more books. By a low-profile german owned publishing house.

Or somthing.

It's who you know, not how shit you are.

interested%20guy.jpg

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: James Joyce. Two nights ago I was reading (finishing) Memoir: John McGahern

Back on topic!

ICUH8N said:
I saw some awful woman reading it on the train a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was too hungover to chastise her.

I feel I should point out at this stage that I was reading the book for work. I had to finish it this morning on the bus into work and was cringing my face off. This happens a lot. I did take some pleasure from the day I was reading Jackie Collins though with its cerise and gold cover and happened to be wearing a leopard-skin jacket and gold handbag by total coincidence. I was so pleased with my overall tackiness:).

Psychotic no 2 said:
Is the McGahern any good (back on topic)?

Currently reading "That they should face the rising sun"

so far its about local gossip in the midlands

and nice cups of tea

johnnystress said:
Currently reading "That they should face the rising sun"

so far its about local gossip in the midlands

and nice cups of tea
got gave a free copy of that the other day. i find him a bit tough going really though. did amongst women for college and it was a bit of a pain. i think it's a grown-up thing.

Super Dexta said:
got gave a free copy of that the other day. i find him a bit tough going really though. did amongst women for college and it was a bit of a pain. i think it's a grown-up thing.

so, i suspect theres wont be marauding aliens or sex scenes later on then?

flook that

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back