What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

Yer books are mostly 180 degrees away from mundane drudgery.
I haven't read a finished reading a fiction book for decades. Sci Fi / non linear stuff is probably great but I don't have motivation to stick with any fiction unfortunately.
That reminds me - I recorded a doc on Vonnegut a while back, must watch that.
Ah yes. I do mainly audiobooks and Audible and Spotify have reams and reams of free sci fi and fantasy

Ah yes. I do mainly audiobooks and Audible and Spotify have reams and reams of free sci fi and fantasy
Never listened to an audio book in my life. Might be worth a go but I suspect I would lose concentration pretty quickly.
Narrative songs and TV drama and most movies don't keep my attention.
I 'd rather do something else with my time.

Recently

The Overstory by Richard Powers - Story about a group of environmentalists, but mainly about trees. Absolutely gorgeously written.

Galatea 2.2 by Richard Powers - Autofiction book by same writer. It's about AI and it was written in the 90s but it's very prescient.

Pilgermann by Russell Hoban - Medieval fantasy. Narrated by the disembodied spirit or consciousness of Pilgermann, a European Jew, the novel opens with the newly castrated Pilgermann having a vision of Christ after sleeping with a merchant's wife and subsequently being mutilated by a gentile mob. Goes downhill for poor Pilgermann from there.

Downward to the Earth by Robert Silverberg - Sci fi inspired by Heart of Darkness. Human goes on a a mind expanding journey with the indigenous population of a planet that can transcend consciousness. Trippy

No Country for Old Men by big Cormy McCarthy, god rest his soul. The master. Incredibly gripping storytelling.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer. Everyone who ever lived is resurrected in a barren landscape beside an enormous river. And they all start fighting and boning each other. Great concept, will be checking out the other books in the series.

The Greek Myths by Robert Graves. Love a bit of Graves.

Ilium by Dan Simmons. Post humans re-enact The Iliad on a terraformed Mars. Entertaining.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Two creepy teenage boys usher in the apocalypse. Disturbing.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer. Everyone who ever lived is resurrected in a barren landscape beside an enormous river. And they all start fighting and boning each other. Great concept, will be checking out the other books in the series.

Athlone, Limerick or Dublin?*
*there probably aren't many cities without a river in fairness.

I recently listened to Thurston moores 'sonic life' I was amazed at the detailed memories of gigs he'd been to in the 70s and realised he was obviously keeping a diary. The detail really brings the stankyness of Newyork in the 70s to life. A great run through of the sonic youth years which made me listen back to every album and make playlists. 1000 leaves is a banger I'd never even heard of before for some reason.
It also encouraged me to write down a detailed account of my first gig, to see if it was possible, and I was amazed at some of the stuff I remembered when pushed to it.

I'm currently reading Barnaby Rudge by one Charles Dickens. It's a tad mystifying at times, but his character development is always worth checking out and the theme of mob rule seems quite current. I also have a friend named Barnaby, and Wondered if there were parallels. There isn't.

I recently listened to Thurston moores 'sonic life' I was amazed at the detailed memories of gigs he'd been to in the 70s and realised he was obviously keeping a diary. The detail really brings the stankyness of Newyork in the 70s to life. A great run through of the sonic youth years which made me listen back to every album and make playlists. 1000 leaves is a banger I'd never even heard of before for some reason.
It also encouraged me to write down a detailed account of my first gig, to see if it was possible, and I was amazed at some of the stuff I remembered when pushed to it.

Herself got me the paper version for christmas and I haven't cracked the cover on it yet and I really should.

The chapter on SY in Our Band Could Be Your Life was really good.

Its worth your attention. He talks about touring and all that, with dinosaur junior and swans, and playing at the behest of Neil Young at some oldie fest which is quite funny. Our band could be your life is a bit of a masterpiece of the genre though

I'm currently reading Barnaby Rudge by one Charles Dickens. It's a tad mystifying at times, but his character development is always worth checking out and the theme of mob rule seems quite current. I also have a friend named Barnaby, and Wondered if there were parallels. There isn't.
Never saw a non music reference book with sooo many artists mentioned.
Everyone from The Kingsmen to Funkadelic, Morton Feldman, Gerogerigegege and Void is name checked by Moore enthusiastically.

Only read first hundred pages so far.
If he'd never done anything himself it would still be wouldn't matter too much.
Just hearing how music changed his life was fascinating

Never saw a non music reference book with sooo many artists mentioned.
Everyone from The Kingsmen to Funkadelic, Morton Feldman, Gerogerigegege and Void is name checked by Moore enthusiastically.

Only read first hundred pages so far.
If he'd never done anything himself it would still be wouldn't matter too much.
Just hearing how music changed his life was fascinating
Its fascinating stuff alright. I'd hoped the accompanying PDF would have links to some of the artists he was talking about, but alas, no. I took to checking bands out on Tidal that he mentions most enthusiastically like saccharine trust and Firehose (bands i really should have known). The references are endless!

Its fascinating stuff alright. I'd hoped the accompanying PDF would have links to some of the artists he was talking about, but alas, no. I took to checking bands out on Tidal that he mentions most enthusiastically like saccharine trust and Firehose (bands i really should have known). The references are endless!
Saccharine Trust - Pagan Icons (SST) their 1981 debut is a great LP. Later stuff is more jazz fusion leaning from what I remember.
Thurston has said the S.T. singer was one of his favourite poets.

I am ould so I remember Mike Watt, George and Ed fromOhio aka fIREHOSE.

Have heard Thurston talk about his love early US hardcore punk, Japanese noise (he got MTV to play about 20 seconds of Masonna in 1994), early black metal (Venom, Bathory etc.) many times. He picked one the first Finnish HC punk records KAAOS / CADGERS 7" as his favourite record sleeve in an article he wrote in Wire magazine.

Many places I end up he has already been.
I hardly listened to Moore's music for over 30 years but S.Y. were the best gateway band I can remember. They were always talking about music they loved in interviews.
EDIT:
Same with Teenage Riot video. I watch it every few years to see if I can recognise all the band's heroes the inserted brief clips of.

Informative stuff! Yeah his scope Is wide ranging in the extreme.

I listening to a podcast from Marc marron interviewing him recently (skip his selling crap for the first 14 mins!), and he reveals that he researched the village voice on a micro-fiche in a library in Fort lauderdale (it didn't exist anywhere else) for details on the shows he was going to. I was wondering how on earth he'd remember all the dates etc, but he does remember who he met and what he talked about which is staggering considering I can't remember what I said or did yesterday.

Informative stuff! Yeah his scope Is wide ranging in the extreme.

I listening to a podcast from Marc marron interviewing him recently (skip his selling crap for the first 14 mins!), and he reveals that he researched the village voice on a micro-fiche in a library in Fort lauderdale (it didn't exist anywhere else) for details on the shows he was going to. I was wondering how on earth he'd remember all the dates etc, but he does remember who he met and what he talked about which is staggering considering I can't remember what I said or did yesterday.

In Julian Cope's memoir he is able to remember what people were wearing when he first met them e.g. Ian McCulloch.
I suppose Cope kept really detailed diaries.

Saccharine Trust - Pagan Icons (SST) their 1981 debut is a great LP. Later stuff is more jazz fusion leaning from what I remember.
Thurston has said the S.T. singer was one of his favourite poets.

I am ould so I remember Mike Watt, George and Ed fromOhio aka fIREHOSE.

Have heard Thurston talk about his love early US hardcore punk, Japanese noise (he got MTV to play about 20 seconds of Masonna in 1994), early black metal (Venom, Bathory etc.) many times. He picked one the first Finnish HC punk records KAAOS / CADGERS 7" as his favourite record sleeve in an article he wrote in Wire magazine.

Many places I end up he has already been.
I hardly listened to Moore's music for over 30 years but S.Y. were the best gateway band I can remember. They were always talking about music they loved in interviews.
EDIT:
Same with Teenage Riot video. I watch it every few years to see if I can recognise all the band's heroes the inserted brief clips of.

Saccharine Trust’s best is Surviving You, Always, which bridges the more muscular sound of PaganIcons (they were playing songs from it as early as 1981) with the looser jazzy style of the later stuff. But it was never officially digitised so no CD and no streaming. I got a near-mint vinyl copy a few years ago and no I will never sell it.

Really struggling with Morrissey's autobiography. He's so windy, obviously.

I'm just not in the right frame of mind for it. Too tired lately. I think in the right setting I would enjoy it a lot more. Feels a bit like trying to watch The Assassination of Jesse James when you aren't arsed with a big slow film.

Really struggling with Morrissey's autobiography. He's so windy, obviously.

I'm just not in the right frame of mind for it. Too tired lately. I think in the right setting I would enjoy it a lot more. Feels a bit like trying to watch The Assassination of Jesse James when you aren't arsed with a big slow film.
Johnny Marr's was a good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back