What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

radio-australia-sticker.jpg

Radio can be great in Australia it depends where you are though I think there are only few stations which can be heard all over.

a previous programme about the publishing industry in china mentioned a hugely popular chinese sci-fi novel called The Three Body Problem

I've read this. Its full of amazing ideas but really clunkily written. If you can get past that it's definitely worth it. It's the first part of a trilogy. Haven't gotten around to the other two yet.

Amongst other things:

Autumn Street by Lois Lowry - A really beautifully written, sad book about growing up in New York during World War 2.

9780547345604_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

It came out in 1980 but manages to fall kinda somewhere between To Kill a Mockingbird and The Railway Children. Very impressed that it manages to keep that kind of tone without falling into pure anachronism or heavy-handed moralizing.

Also been reading a bit of Lovecraft who I hadn't really touched in a good 15 years - fun to be back with his eldritch geometry and indescribably racist hands.

The bard handy reading really only 14 lines
9789462301696.jpg

Got this book about an exhibition that was at the Van Gogh in Amsterdam recently its supposed to late present for somebody so I haven't opened it but it does like very nice from the covers.

That book about Haino is in French, right? Fancypants ...

The next "Vorhh" book is out now. Saw it in HF the other day. Hardback only though for the moment ...

That book about Haino is in French, right? Fancypants ...

The next "Vorhh" book is out now. Saw it in HF the other day. Hardback only though for the moment ...
Yeah, I'm still slowly reading the Haino book as I need a dictionary on hand to get through it. I had French notions when I bought it.

Have the second Vorrh book and had hoped to read it on holidays but time got away from me. Really looking forward to it though.

@Cornu Ammonis with all those updates are you not on goodreads? Goodreads is probably my most updated social media "presence" these days. It's marvelously slow moving.

you should. It's over 4000 days since I started Atlas Shrugged
My wife got about 95 % into Atlas Shrugged and found it all right and then there was a 30 page monologue that killed it dead on her.

I did read The Fountainhead. It was grand but I wouldn't be using it to really shape my worldview. That's what Thomas Ligotti is for.

Got halfway through that recently published volume of Ligotti's stories while on holiday last Summer. Stopped when I decided it's not really ideal holiday reading. Should really go back to it.

Yeah it's a real drag when you are trying to decide whether to go to the beach or not but simultaneously keenly aware of the fact that consciousness is an illusion, free will doesn't exist, human life is ultimately futile, and there will likely be much pain before you eventually die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back