What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

just started this as well. Flowing along nicely. Nice evocative writing too.
It's a nice cup of tea and a biscuit book. It's not up there with the likes of Raymond Chandler, but nice picturing the streets the action takes place in.

Last couple

410hq5sbqhL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A bit 90s misery lit. Pretty good tho.

1430609.jpg

A bit silly. GET OVER IT BRO.

I've been very remiss in my reading of late; just can't seem to stick with anything. Current read is Everything is Happening - Journey into a Painting, by Michael Jacobs. It's an investigation into Velazquez's painting Las Meninas as well as a sort of memoir. A very engaging read.

28251002.jpg

Finished this during the week, probably the first 600+ page novel I've read in 10 years or so. I enjoyed it, and laughed out loud a good few times during the reading of it, which is exceedingly rare for me. Apparently it's being made into a telly show at some point in the future. Anyways, I give it four out of 5.

The War Against Cliche

51dIZnEaXgL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

kinda disappointed tbh, I was hoping it would spur strong emotions from me either of anger or mirth at his dickishness but it's mostly just well-written, very traditional reviews that all feel a little like the last gasp of a time gone by.

His stuff written when he was in his 20's is kinda embarrassing as he constantly trips over himself referring to the canon and the same 3 or 4 modern writers to let everyone know that's he is well read. When he stops giving a fuck about impressing people his writing takes an appealing turn both in clarity and insight.

My fav quote comes from the title essay about Ulysses: "Joyce could have been the most popular boy in school, the funniest, the cleverest, the kindest. He ended up with a more ambiguous distinction: he became the teacher's pet"

Last edited:
Finished this during the week, probably the first 600+ page novel I've read in 10 years or so. I enjoyed it, and laughed out loud a good few times during the reading of it, which is exceedingly rare for me. Apparently it's being made into a telly show at some point in the future. Anyways, I give it four out of 5.
Oh good! Was going to start it tonight.

Just started The Wonder by Emma Donoghue.
Reading it on the bus home last night, I was left feeling totally low brow when this guy sat beside me and whipped out The Complete Works of Arthur Rimbaud.
Prick.

7083 (1).jpg 
For someone who likes SF I have read very little PKD. This was very good and, as everyone says, differs greatly from the famous movie that is based on it.

Only found out recently that he had some sort of insane breakdown in the early 70s involving all sorts of mystical visions and stuff and spent most of the rest of his life trying to make sense if what happened to him.

Last edited:
View attachment 11851 
For someone who likes SF I have read very little PKD. This was very good and, as everyone says, differs greatly from the famous movie that is based on it.

Only found out recently that he had some sort of insane breakdown in the early 70s involving all sorts of mystical visions and stuff and spent most of the rest of his life trying to make sense if what happened to him.
Yeah he deals with that in detail in his book Valis if you're interested.

haven't read it yet, but was very excited to see a new jon mcgregor novel on the shelves at the weekend - 'reservoir 13'.
his first book 'if nobody speaks of remarkable things' is one of the best novels i've read.

The Pearl of Khorasan: A History Of Herat by C.P.W Gammell.

Very interesting history of this city from about 1200 up to the fall of the Taliban. I got a bit bored in the middle but I wouldn't mind learning a bit more about the recent history of Afghanistan.

i've heard a couple of episodes of a great radio programme about books recently and made note of a couple of books/authors to check out:

last week there was a whole panel of people who were pretty much evangelical about The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector

a previous programme about the publishing industry in china mentioned a hugely popular chinese sci-fi novel called The Three Body Problem

this is the programme and a couple of themed series they've done/are doing:

Past Programs by Date - Books and Arts - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

RN’s 2017 Latin American Book Club

RN's 2016 African Book Club

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back