What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

I've never really checked it out but I'm guessing I should.
Eh, it's more or less just a list of things you're currently reading and recommendations you don't pay any attention to.

It's mostly used to see what your friends are reading so you can go "of course they're reading that".

very little in terms of hilarious status updates though so that's something.

10/10 great website

I took a mini-break from Moby Dick to read All Quiet on the Orient Express by Magnus Mills, which is great fun; really surreal and brilliant. Highly recommended.
I'm now on a 2nd mini break to read Graham Greene's, Our Man in Havana.
Then it'll be back to that bloody whale.

Bloodtide by Melvin Burgess

51XWCX5PEHL.jpg

Has an interesting narrative technique where it switches back and forth between first and third person depending on the chapter, like the book is breathing in and out or something.

oh yeah and also:
Dystopian post-apocalyptic future! Rival fiefdoms murdering each other in a never ending power struggle!! Teenage incestuous sex!!! Genetically engineered half humans!!!! Shapeshifting body swappers!!!!! Half robot half organic Norse Gods!!!!!! DIALECTS!!!!!!!

all that and it came out in 1999.

Very... uh... busy.

Last edited:
Following my re-read of All Quiet on the Orient Express, I picked up the new novel by Magnus Mills, The Forensic Records Society - another great read. Highly recommended.

Just finished this
Tenth_of_December.jpg

Very good. Also recently got through Noam Chomskey's Who Rules the World, as well as Murukami's 1Q84 (Books 1 & 2) and Junot Diaz's The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, while leafing through some of Hemingway's collected stories. About to re-read Hunger having picked it up 2nd hand recently:
Hunger_first_edition.jpg

PCs for Dummies. A total breeze!

Alan Partridge - Nomad. Really disappointing. Didn't recognise the character at times. A lot of name dropping minor british celebrities as 'the joke', instead of making any efforts to create something funny. Massive let down as a follow up to the excellent We Need to Talk About Alan.

Dog Rounds - Death and Life in the Boxing Ring by Elliot Worsell. A boxing journalist interviews boxers who have killed or almost killed opponents in the ring. The premise of this book really appeals to me as a fan of fighting but the book itself isn't great. A better writer could probably do the subject more justice.

Borne_%28book_cover%29.jpg

Jeff Vandermeer is excellent. Not sure this reaches the heights of the brilliant Southern Reach trilogy but it's still the smartest and most engaging and relevant contemporary "SF" that I know of.

Borne_%28book_cover%29.jpg

Jeff Vandermeer is excellent. Not sure this reaches the heights of the brilliant Southern Reach trilogy but it's still the smartest and most engaging and relevant contemporary "SF" that I know of.
Is this new? Didn't like the second and third Southern Reach books as much as the first which is amazing

Yeah it is new. Agree with you about no.2 SR but I thought the final one was great. I liked 2 more in retrospect though.

Film of Annihilation (directed by Alex Garland) due out next February.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back