What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

Am readin One hundred years of solitude, which i have been meaning to get to for the past few years. It's fairly good so far, although the long list of names that sound alike is starting to get on my wick.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Am readin One hundred years of solitude, which i have been meaning to get to for the past few years. It's fairly good so far, although the long list of names that sound alike is starting to get on my wick.

i really enjoyed that book but yeah...all those names made my headspin a little

FINALLY finished The Wisdom of Crowds the other day, so have now moved on to:

0715635492.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1135007951_.jpg

Which is pretty deadly. Far more straight up physics than superheroes in it.
&

1843171694.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1127912509_.jpg

Which is funny, but he's no Henry Root.

next up: the god delusion

Reread Sam Shepard's 'Buried Child'. And a large chunk of Dan Kennedy's 'loser goes first'. Listened to a Bark Psychosis record in-between.

Just Finished:

6a00c2251c2f968fdb00c2251cdb308fdb-320pi

It doesnt have anything in it that is a surprise but when yousee all the lies and manipulations laid out one afteranther it's pretty chilling.

I had dropped:

terrorist_300.jpg

to read the Frank Rich book so I picked that up again last night.

I can't ever read Updike without thinking of that episode of the Simpsons - Tom Wolfe too.

Reading One Hundred years of solitude too,the name thing is really offputting alright,read his short stories too which is great for the little references to certain characters/ideas that keep cropping up.
Also reading a book on acoustics and psychoacoustics and a book on CG Jung.

Constantly reading D Bermans Actual Air.
Absolutely loved Bill Drummonds 45

Just finished the Book of guys by Garrion Keillor. Was kind of bored by the whole thing and had to really plough through the final couple of chapters/sketches.

I remember his Mr Blue advice column for salon a few years ago which managed both kind hearted and devistatingly honest.

I just cant seem to warm to his novels though.

Reading One Hundred years of solitude too,the name thing is really offputting alright,read his short stories too which is great for the little references to certain characters/ideas that keep cropping up.
Also reading a book on acoustics and psychoacoustics and a book on CG Jung.

Constantly reading D Bermans Actual Air.
Absolutely loved Bill Drummonds 45
Hi Eamo.
I really liked 100 years of Solitude. The name thing is ok once your refer regularlly to the family tree thing. Currently reading, thanks to Squiggle's recommendation, Three Men on a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. It's very good and I think everyone should a) read that book and b) listen to Squiggle.

When I read Jerome K jerom I think "thats funny - where have I read that before". And it always turns out it was on the bottim on one of theose calanders where you pull off a page a day.

Between him and Ogden Nash the calander guy is left only having to find quotes for bank holidays and the space between christmas and new year.

Hi Eamo.
I really liked 100 years of Solitude. The name thing is ok once your refer regularlly to the family tree thing. .

Hey Wobs,you know I never even noticed that!Thats made it a whole lot clearer.Ill stick that Jerome K Jerome book on my list of things to demand from people at christmas if it comes so highly recommended

I just finished Great Expectations. It got a bit sluggish in the middle third, but overall was very impressive. The ending was a bit rushed and ambiguous though.

I'm back on to Thomas Hardy - have just started The Return of the Native.

I'm reading The Republic by Plato. Not bad so far. Pretty far-fetched though.

Hi Eamo.
I really liked 100 years of Solitude. The name thing is ok once your refer regularlly to the family tree thing. Currently reading, thanks to Squiggle's recommendation, Three Men on a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. It's very good and I think everyone should a) read that book and b) listen to Squiggle.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it :D

William The Detective - Richmal Crompton.

I love the William books. Don't think I've read that one though. I've been trying to search them out second hand lately.

I just finished Great Expectations. It got a bit sluggish in the middle third, but overall was very impressive. The ending was a bit rushed and ambiguous though.

Have you ever read Bleak House? Tragic story but worth a read... actually, may dig that out again soon.

I love the William books. Don't think I've read that one though. I've been trying to search them out second hand lately.

has a bit of controversy about it; new editions have dropped the story William And The Nasties [on the order of Crompton's descendants].
Written in 1935, the story relates how William distrusts a Jewish shopkeeper and forms a mob to drive him out of town. Anti-semitism was not frowned upon much back then.

Nasties phonetically sounds quite like nazis.

I loved the 1970s television series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back