What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (9 Viewers)

Where I live on a clear night you can still see plenty. I'd love to be out the country obviously but it's still remarkable how much you see.

I went on a hiking holiday in Morocco once. Up the mountains, in the middle of nowhere at night ... those are the stars. Unbelievable.

I went on a hiking holiday in Morocco once. Up the mountains, in the middle of nowhere at night ... those are the stars. Unbelievable.

Yeah saw something similar in rural US, understood for the first time what the Milky Way was/meant. It's this big milky splash of stars, you don't really notice it around Dublin. Still a cold crisp night around here and some 'noculars or 'scope and I think I'd have a lark.

The southern hemisphere has more to look at in the sky apparently, the milky way is also more impressive there. I thought i was looking at regular clouds in the sky the first night I noticed it, it was so bright.

Have avoided buying it for years, but eventually started it yeasterday, as I want to read it before seeing the movie.

Its pretty great so far.

kevin.jpg

He's doing a reading and book signing, if thats your kind of thing, on 5th November....

The Marriage Plot is getting nice reviews. Could never get into Middlesex. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Hugh Lane Gallery, Parnell Square, Dublin 1
Saturday 5th November, at 3pm
Tickets €3
(Redeemable against the cost of The Marriage Plot at the event)

We are delighted to announce that Jeffry Eugenides will be giving a reading and signing copies of his bestselling new novel The Marriage Plot in the Hugh Lane Gallery on Saturday, 5th November, at 3pm. To book, please call Susan in Dubray Books on (01) 276 0059 or email [email protected].

Can't be there? If you would like to reserve a signed copy, please contact your local branch or email [email protected].

Jeffrey Eugenides rose to international attention with the publication of his second novel, Middlesex, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 2003. His first novel, the Virgin Suicides, was successfully adapted for a film, directed by Sofia Coppola. He teaches creative writing at Princeton University.

http://www.dubraybooks.ie/events03.asp

the-marriage-plot.jpg

that. Its ok. I'm about 2/3s through. I loved Virgin Suicides and Middlesex. This isn't as good as either. But its ok.

He's doing a reading and book signing, if thats your kind of thing, on 5th November....

The Marriage Plot is getting nice reviews. Could never get into Middlesex. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Hugh Lane Gallery, Parnell Square, Dublin 1
Saturday 5th November, at 3pm
Tickets €3
(Redeemable against the cost of The Marriage Plot at the event)

We are delighted to announce that Jeffry Eugenides will be giving a reading and signing copies of his bestselling new novel The Marriage Plot in the Hugh Lane Gallery on Saturday, 5th November, at 3pm. To book, please call Susan in Dubray Books on (01) 276 0059 or email [email protected].

Can't be there? If you would like to reserve a signed copy, please contact your local branch or email [email protected].

Jeffrey Eugenides rose to international attention with the publication of his second novel, Middlesex, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 2003. His first novel, the Virgin Suicides, was successfully adapted for a film, directed by Sofia Coppola. He teaches creative writing at Princeton University.

http://www.dubraybooks.ie/events03.asp

Not my thing really, but I'd seen it mentioned on twitter alright.

The book is getting very Meh now. About 150 pages left to go and I kind of can't wait to be finished it. Its a book about a complicated love story (ish) and I'm way too masculine and macho to be reading love stories.

the-marriage-plot.jpg

that. Its ok. I'm about 2/3s through. I loved Virgin Suicides and Middlesex. This isn't as good as either. But its ok.

finished this. Its ok. Not my cup of tea but its typically Eugenides as regards how its written. He keeps it somewhat interesting even though the story is quite dull (IMO).

Started this yesterday;

james-yorkston-announces-first-book-2011-press.jpg

read about half of it in 2 hours. Its an incredibly light read (would be great for the bus or plane). I picked it up at his recent gig and bought it because generally I find him quite witty and interesting to listen to. This book is highly entertaining. Just a series of diaries about certain tours he went on. I'm sure folks here could relate to some of the incidents and anecdotes he shares.

started 'dispatches' by michael herr this morning. superb so far; i tried reading it about 15 years ago and couldn't get into it. i was obviously young and foolish.

Retromania.jpg

I finally got a proper start on Retromania by Simon Reynolds last night. He just sounds rather curmudgeonly. I feel his whole thesis might be a load of cobblers, but gonna give it a go as it's still quite readable and full of fun facts.

If I recall correctly. It's been years since I read it. I've read so many Roth books and he includes himself in most of them it's hard to tell if I'm thinking of the right book!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back