What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

Girl to me at bus stop this evening: "You're reading a book! It's been years since I've seen anybody reading a book - while standing up too".

She then smoked an entire cigarette flat, in about 30 seconds and 7 drags.

KRISTI~1.jpg

Would this be 'Fun House' or 'Persepolis'? I'm presuming the former. I felt just the same, I thought it was going to be unbearably smug for the first 20 pages or so, but then you just grow to really care about her and her dad and agh. I just thought despite the layer upon layer of almost un-real/hyper-real, there were just some stunningly appropriate moments. Particularly the telephone conversations she has with him when she's away at college. Anyway, I'm just an absolute sucker for a father daughter narrative.

...I guess I am too. I hadn't thought of that. Though I'm not a closeted gay dad. No really, I'm not! Interesting conundrum as well about him being gay but submerging his gayness to get married and have kids and now, though she is proudly gay she can't disapprove of his actions because it led to her being alive etc etc....and I've just given the plot away haven't I. Ah well.

I re-read 'On Beauty' by Zadie Smith. I still love it even though they're all hateful.

View attachment 7252
The very opposite, so far at least. Short book but I find myself rereading whole passages. First foray into Coetzee so it's exciting.

Well now, this went completely bananas at the end. Not so much an unsatisfying as a "what the fuck?" ending. Have since read some analyses which have shed some light on it but have to admit, I'm still pretty confused.

Just bought Skippy Dies, hope it's good Bernie Lomax!

Well now, this went completely bananas at the end. Not so much an unsatisfying as a "what the fuck?" ending. Have since read some analyses which have shed some light on it but have to admit, I'm still pretty confused.

Just bought Skippy Dies, hope it's good Bernie Lomax!
it is but it's way too long and my interest was waning towards the end, the first half of the book is brilliant though, much funnier than the inbetweeners

61Vz50CtPkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I read this book loads when I was in my early teens started reading it again at bed time the other night. It's a great auld book. It's slightly out of date now but full of interesting astronomy related factoids. I thoroughly enjoyed it again. I'm kinda tempted to buy a decent telescope as the last few weeks of clear nights and reading this again have given me the bug.

I got this Patrick Moore book when I was in my teens - Mission to the Planets

1080376.jpg

I saw the Sky At Night one night when there was a special about the planet Venus, they showed some fascinating photos taken on the surface. The next day the mother got me the book and I loved it. I had thought up to then that The Sky At Night was the BBC's version of A Prayer At Bedtime. You can see a lot with binoculars too. I'd buy a telescope and/or binoculars except that I don't have a car and getting away from the city lights is a pain in the arse sans voiture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back