What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

really its not a bad read I think. The thing about hating him cos he comes across as a dick, I reckon is intentional and I reckon is just good writing.

its worth the read anyway, despite what that other thread says

That's a pretty fair comment, but I'm still glad I'm finished - it was bringing me down. He writes the teenagers well, but the adults are tortuous. Even the seemingly normal, decent and intelligent Aisha, turns out to be a pain in the arse when the focus is on her. I know that was probably intentional, but still. I don't think I've ever tutted out loud as frequently while reading a book.

It was a pain in the hole because it was shit

I've been reading Swann's Way by Proust for almost two months and Im still only on page 189

I made it a bit further than that before giving up on it. I've a pain in me hole with the book I'm reading now but I like it enough not to abandon it (almost done anyways). I've a George Orwell lined up next but I might give Proust a go again after that.

38990.jpg

Thought this was wonderful. Couldn't decide at first if the constant.literary.allusions. were really irritating me, but I got used to it. Dug the chill sentimentality, dug the art style.

Have started reading Persepolis FINALLY now

I finished this last night actually. It was just okay. Quite awkwardly translated (I imagine). Not much narrative skill on display either. A lot of "btws" and pop-up characters who you're supposed to give a shit about, but who pop back down again just as quickly. The drawings get less interesting as it progresses.

I'm done with sports bios for a bit (read a good few this summer). Now I'm on this;

One-Hundred-Years-of-Solitude-Gabriel-Garcia-Marquez.jpg

that picture disappeared. Anyway finished this last night;

gabriel-garcia-marquez-one-hundred-years-of-solitude.jpg

Took over a month to get through, mostly because its a translation and I'm guessing its quite loyal to the original Spanish, which doesn't make for a nice free-flowing read. But there are some really fantastic parts of this book and for this reason I'd be tempted to recommend it. It just wasn't something I found myself eager to get back to once I'd put it down.

It reminded me of East of Eden by Steinbeck insofar as its a story of several generations of a family. Rather than being a conventional story as such its moreso about the affects of a couple of major events and a couple of external influences on multiple generations of a family.

I'm glad I read it but I'm also glad I don't have to read it anymore.

Next up;

Coming-Up-for-Air2.jpg

I read this recently too

Went from not caring about the characters to being annoyed by them to ultimately liking them and actually found the whole thing pretty redeeming at the end.

Reading these two books at the same time, Rick Wakeman style, at the moment:

art-353-jon-ronson-psychopath-test-200x0.jpg
Great fun and engaging but ultimately flimsy, I think. Unless it things start getting profound in the last couple of chapters.

coetzee-elizabeth-costello.jpg
The very opposite, so far at least. Short book but I find myself rereading whole passages. First foray into Coetzee so it's exciting.

38990.jpg

Thought this was wonderful. Couldn't decide at first if the constant.literary.allusions. were really irritating me, but I got used to it. Dug the chill sentimentality, dug the art style.

I read this recently too

Went from not caring about the characters to being annoyed by them to ultimately liking them and actually found the whole thing pretty redeeming at the end.

Would this be 'Fun House' or 'Persepolis'? I'm presuming the former. I felt just the same, I thought it was going to be unbearably smug for the first 20 pages or so, but then you just grow to really care about her and her dad and agh. I just thought despite the layer upon layer of almost un-real/hyper-real, there were just some stunningly appropriate moments. Particularly the telephone conversations she has with him when she's away at college. Anyway, I'm just an absolute sucker for a father daughter narrative.

I finished this last night actually. It was just okay. Quite awkwardly translated (I imagine). Not much narrative skill on display either. A lot of "btws" and pop-up characters who you're supposed to give a shit about, but who pop back down again just as quickly. The drawings get less interesting as it progresses.

I've only really gotten a chance to read it on the bus every morning, but am about half way through. So far I really like it. I think its got a really cool, direct style, mostly a likability that's carried by just finding her pretty interesting/sweet/funny/annoying. Its a good combination. I do sort of agree on the popup characters though. I think in some places it works - the uncle particularly resonates, but that's probably because I'm sentimental and easily touched by the bread swan - and in other it just fails, or seems heavy handed. But then I guess that's the kind of narrative it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back