what about shopping local? (3 Viewers)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
does anyone bother?? i dont really mean proximity either...

I've been wondering about the typical counter argument which goes something like "local produce is too expensive, so i go to tesco, lidl, aldi, asda, pennys, dunnes, etc etc" - I'm starting to think its a load of crap. I went on a wee experiment for the past two months where i tried in every case to buy a local product from a local shop for a local price. My average weekly food spend was between 15 and 20 euro. Moving to local produce it rose by about 5-8 euro a week. I must admit, this is actually more money. so there is the first (and possibly only) 'against' point. it costs more money. about 30% more by the looks of it.

From what i could find on the internet, if you shop in a chain store 43% of the money stays in the local economy. i suspect that this translates to minimum wage jobs and amenities like electrical, heating, maintenance.

If you shop in a local store 68% stays in the local economy, so a large portion of the 30% extra i spent on my groceries gets recycled locally instead of being removed syringe style by multinationals.

so anyways, looking at my wallet in the most immediate present, it costs a little more, but looking at long term its a ripoff to go chain store. If you would like a fight on the internet, tell me otherwise.

We did this in our house for a while in Finglas...got the ex crane driver who started a veg round to deliver our stuff and everything..got milk delivered(because it was DIRECTLY gonna employ a lad from the area)..turned out to be way too expensive...had to stop when I lost my job.

The milk man was charging €2 a 2 liter of milk ffs.You cant be having them kinda bills at the end of the week.

Its a shame.

whats a waxie???

also to continue my internet fight (with myseld evidently) there is also the possibility of choosing 1 thing a week that you get anyways to be local. that will probably cost 50c more.

Cobblers!

(cuckle) no I'm not being rude...(warmer chuckle)

accoring to wikipedia...

"The Waxies' Dargle" is a traditional Irish folk song about two Dublin "aul' wans" (ladies) discussing how to find money to go on an excursion. It is named after an annual outing to Ringsend, near Dublin city, by Dublin cobblers (waxies). It originated as a 19th-century children's song and is now a popular pub song in Ireland.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxies'_Dargle

@ showeranothershower
Does it have something to do with rhyming gargle and dargle?

it always gets my goat when you hear stories like 'tesco creates 88 jobs in mullingar by opening a new store'.
no, they haven't, they've just shifted 88 local jobs to a multinational who will now farm the profits out of the country.

we live in phibsboro - the only supermarket within walking distance is tesco, and it's not a pretty example of one. i get access to a car, and when we have that, we usually do our grocery shopping in superquinn in finglas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back