Westport (1 Viewer)

F. Fred Palakon

Can anyone recommend some good websites or suggestions of things to do/see in Westport? (Tha's Mayo, not Connecticut). Particularly restuarant/pub recommendations.

the beach is milezese out of the town, so don't try to walk there. Or you'll end up with stumps for hooves. Also, westport is a planned town, and is very pretty.

It's got loads of nice restaurants, but I haven't been there in about 10 years at this stage so basically my input on this thread is worse than useless, Helena. To be honest.

helena said:
Can anyone recommend some good websites or suggestions of things to do/see in Westport? (Tha's Mayo, not Connecticut). Particularly restuarant/pub recommendations.

I was there two years ago and there was not one ATM in the village so you had to get money elsewhere.

Things to do? Walk up some or all of Croagh Patrick.
kirstie said:
the beach is milezese out of the town, so don't try to walk there. Or you'll end up with stumps for hooves. Also, westport is a planned town, and is very pretty.

It's got loads of nice restaurants, but I haven't been there in about 10 years at this stage so basically my input on this thread is worse than useless, Helena. To be honest.

helena said:

Climb Croagh Patrick if the weather's good, mind you it tends to change very quickly there - it rains lots. and frequently. Anyways great view from the top of Croagh Patrick and it's a reasonably tought climb especially near the top - wear decent hill walking gear if you do go. Nearby is Ber Tra beach and it's nice and long - got dunes n stuff. Both those things would require transport/taxi - you could walk it but you'd be wrecked like kirstie said.

Then you have http://www.westporthouse.ie/home.htm - Wesport House. meh.

There's some great restauants and pubs but it's a few years since I was there - cannae remember the names. Real useful eh? Anyways, 'tis a nice place, a bit jammers in summer sometimes though.

Righty oh, what have i learned from 2 years in this bunghole.

Pubs, mmm they vary, alot of old pubs been done up recently or changed and i'm not going out that much here, don't know what you're after, matt mollys of the chieftans fame is a pretty genuine old pub with good trad, bit of a venus tourist trap though, jammed, mcGings was from another century but still nice now, best guiness in McHales, tiniest pub - O'malleys (the octagon), Heneghans, jj O'Malleys, the jester, cosy joes, ok young crowd, Kellys, over the river - more leftfield, rednecks won't go in cos its the "drugs pub" = ok by me.
Food served in most pubs but the sheebeen out beyond the quays is great for a sunday lunch, smoky fire small pub ahhh, or the towers on the quays, must've gotten about 20 free pints there in the last 2 years, first time i realised what a public house really meant, great place to laze a sunday away all day, might be busy in summmer though.
Stay away from the venue, the west, mcCarthys, dunnings, bould biddys.
If you have a car, climb croagh patrick or try surfing on carrowniskey beach, you can rent boards wetsuits etc, about 30 min drive from westport though, waves don't come into clew bay. If no car you could probably still get to croagh patrick or a nearby beach, or just buzz around the grounds of westport house.
Sunsets are spectacular too, if its sunny, head to the quays with some cans and whatever else floats your boat.
sunset.jpg
from around the quays
clewbay.jpg
top of crokee p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back