Waltz With Bashir (1 Viewer)

Cryptid

Offline for a few weeks - I needs to get some work
Website
thecrocodilequarter.tumblr.com
I saw this this evening in the Lighthouse. It's really good. It gives an insight into the Israeli mindset.

skw_WaltzWithBashir_02.jpg

The Lighthouse is a really nice cinema.

yeh...i've been wanting to see this for ages! Ever since I sawa clip of it on Euronews about 2 months ago. I bet the poxy cinema down here won't get it in though...

This was really good. Definitely recommended. Never comes -across preachy or righteous. Great visuals, and great music.
It's not for everyone though - there was about 6 walkouts when I saw it.

This was really good. Definitely recommended. Never comes -across preachy or righteous. Great visuals, and great music.

Very true about the music too. I loved when This Is Not A Love Song came on. I'm amazed there was more than six people there.

Haha yeah I was loving it when Enola Gay came on, never thought I'd hear that used well in a film!

Used in a really great context too - the boat is bringing all the lads off to their first experience of war, and they're dancing away to a song about the plane that dropped the bomb.

And when he climbed upon the buxom torso of that girl and floated off before the bomber hit - that prompted a few "i don't get this" walk outs when i saw it.

Great scene

Arrogance and aggression. The most miserable, hateful people on the planet

I sympathise with your point of view, especially when you consider the depressing state of the Gaza strip refugee camps but

a) It's still a great movie
b) They can't all be bad
c) "Israel is Europe's Frankenstein*"

Also, this movie shows this particular generation's remorse and guilt at the particular massacres in 1982, although not overtly perhaps. It'll take generations to sort Israel out though.

*Frankenstein's Monster to be technical.

Jaysis, I can't even begin to think of a good reason to walk out? What point did they leave at?

I didn't really think that it was an insight into the Israeli mindset in particular, rather I thought it more broad than that, I thought it was more about personal experience of war. The fact that they were all really immature and had loads of personal reason for enlisting (such as proving their masculinity) seemed much more relevant. i never got the feeling that the characters gave much thought to the bigger picture in terms of the political situation.

but then again I tend to miss the point a lot.

The fact that they were all really immature and had loads of personal reason for enlisting (such as proving their masculinity) seemed much more relevant. i never got the feeling that the characters gave much thought to the bigger picture in terms of the political situation.

I thought that was the insight into the Israeli mindset. And how it affects the way they think when they go back to their every day lives after the mandatory tour. Maybe not.

..And each of the characters interviewed seemed to have reported the atrocities they saw upwards to their commanding officer, and was told it was being looked after, but to no avail.

Yeah, it's a great film.
The excellent use of animation only serves to highlight (and not distract from, like i had thought it might) every little cough and shifty eye movement that the interviewees make as they attempt to reason for their actions.

fantastic film. I thought it was a really good insight into the lives of regular people in the war, their own reasons for getting involved, rather than the usual rantings of political leaders. The animation was subtly effective when needed, but it does completely read like a graphic novel, which is why some people may not have had the attention span, lots of dialogue. But walking out on a movie like that? I even made it to the end of Attack of the Clones!

Oh, and The Lighthouse Cinema - what a joyous discovery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back