• Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 3

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
Thomas is 16 months old and has been standing and cruising (walking holding onto things as opposed to driving around the Phoenix Park after dark) since about Christmas. I thought he'd be and early walker, but he seems slow to start taking steps. I realise that he'll do it in his own good time eventually, but i was wondering if there was anything I could to help him get going. I've tried the holding his hand thing but he just drops on his bum after a few steps. He has taken a step or two and can stand on his own when he doesn't realise he's doing it, so maybe it's a confidence thing.

Any ideas?

when we done this with my ex stepson it was all done by increasing the distance between sitting behind and supporting parent and standing in front and catching parent. started with one steps distance and moved up to the length of the sitting room.

My younger brother was just taking his first steps on his first birthday (also, coincedentally Easter Sunday) when he proceeded to break both his legs.

Hope this helps

Thomas is 16 months old and has been standing and cruising (walking holding onto things as opposed to driving around the Phoenix Park after dark) since about Christmas. I thought he'd be and early walker, but he seems slow to start taking steps. I realise that he'll do it in his own good time eventually, but i was wondering if there was anything I could to help him get going. I've tried the holding his hand thing but he just drops on his bum after a few steps. He has taken a step or two and can stand on his own when he doesn't realise he's doing it, so maybe it's a confidence thing.

Any ideas?

Is he a particularly proficient crawler? Some kids don't bother learning to walk that early as they can get around far more efficiently on all fours. he could be jusst risk averse by nature. My young lad was always prone to pushing the limits so was up and about on two legs pretty soon. He could also be bone idle :)

Sit on your sofa and hold him standing up by his waist(making faces, smiles, talking to him etc). Just let him get his balance. Move on to you just helping him balance, rather than you supporting his weight.
Don't worry Ro. It's one of those things that he'll do when he's ready, and once he is, it'll happen almost over night.
Have heard as well that there's a link between ADD and toddlers who walk too early.

My brother didn't walk until he was about 18 months, before that he got by very nicely crawling up to things and walking around things, his son was the same. Both my brother and my nephew would, 'cruise' as you call it, quite happily though. For the first six months of walking they'd only walk with something in one hand, either someone's hand, or carrying something, almost as if they felt that they were holding on to something and therefore wouldn't fall. My other brother was similar. The experience in our family has been that girls begin to walk earlier than boys, my sister and I and both of my nieces were walking by ourselves by 8 months.

I'm sure he'll be just fine :)

Thanks for the tips and encouragement everybody. He's a good crawler and probably feels he can get around quicker that way. I'll try standing him up by his waist and see how we get on. He's getting to the stage where he wants to do things that walkers can do - play with playground stuff and wander off on his own in shops - but he's trying to do it crawling. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a little risk averse now that you mention it, given that Mrs Ro and I are that way.

PS: On the bright side we're expecting baby number two in November!

Heather didn't take her first unaided steps until she was around 18 months, and then while walking across to her sister she fell and hit herself a smack on the head she still has a mark from (3 months later). She didn't walk again for around a month after that, and at first it was only when she thought no-one was looking. Was about a month after she starting walking at home before she'd walk in the creche. Cautious girl

Hard to know Ro. I never met anyone that failed to learn to walk though

Heather didn't take her first unaided steps until she was around 18 months, and then while walking across to her sister she fell and hit herself a smack on the head she still has a mark from (3 months later). She didn't walk again for around a month after that, and at first it was only when she thought no-one was looking. Was about a month after she starting walking at home before she'd walk in the creche. Cautious girl

Hard to know Ro. I never met anyone that failed to learn to walk though

Thanks - let me know if you're interested in an arranged marriage between the two of them - does Heather like trains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back