Virus knockin around in JPEG files (1 Viewer)

hanley

Website
www.tirnagcasta.org
A critical weakness found in many Microsoft programs looks like it is about to be exploited by virus writers. The bug only came to light last week, but code is now circulating that could be used to attack vulnerable machines.
Some security experts said conditions were right to turn the bug into a widely exploited problem.
But others said there was still time to patch machines and ensure that virus writers were prevented from scoring a big success.
Picture problems
Microsoft issued a critical security alert last week telling users that there were problems with the way Jpeg images are handled by Windows and many other programs it makes.
The alert said that, theoretically, a malicious attacker could take over a vulnerable machine using a carefully crafted image that contained code to exploit the bug.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3684552.stm

Inneresting, cheers for that.

On a similar note, microsoftupdate is now being a prick and refusing to update me until i verify that this is 'genuine windows software' - which it is - but it goes through this whole crap with a java application to test my system which refuses to load etc...etcc...

Although automatic updates seem quite happy to go ahead, paranoid weirdos!

Igor said:
Inneresting, cheers for that.

On a similar note, microsoftupdate is now being a prick and refusing to update me until i verify that this is 'genuine windows software' - which it is - but it goes through this whole crap with a java application to test my system which refuses to load etc...etcc...

Although automatic updates seem quite happy to go ahead, paranoid weirdos!
you can disable that in IE if the errors are causing you problems by going to Tools: Manage Add Ons, finding "Microsoft Genuine Advantage" (you might need to change the drop down option to "Show all add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer") & then click "Disable"

Unfortunately this will also break the page, preventing it from checking to see if your copy of XP is legit. Ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back