Vegetarians 'Avoid More Cancers" (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 184
  • Views 15K
  • Watchers 4
No chicken?!?!

I'm trying to become less of a meat eater by gradually expanding the range of vegetables I can tolerate. Latest on my list is spinach.
The other day, I made four portions of a pasta sauce with tomatoes, red onion, garlic, spinach, basil, vegetable stock, chillies and cannellini beans and I've been eating it with wholegrain pasta. I am trying.

I had a massive steak yesterdaty.

The other day, I made four portions of a pasta sauce with tomatoes, red onion, garlic, spinach, basil, vegetable stock, chillies and cannellini beans and I've been eating it with wholegrain pasta. I am trying.
drooling_homer_5d3Q6RnPoUBa.gif

But some comentators advocate an entirely meat free diet, to sort out the global warming thing. Strikes me as a little drastic.

Well it is the most drastic situation humanity has ever faced and it's our rate of consumption which has gotten us to this point.
If all it took to sort out global warming were to stop eating meat I'd be as smug as vegetarians are often said to be.

As a vegetarian I say fuck them. This is about human survival. Animals bred for meat production aren't really part of a functioning ecosystem. They're a waste of land, water and food. It takes more plant protein to feed them than we get out of them when they're eaten. It's like switiching from fossil fuels to alternative energy sources. It's extremely urgent but it can't happen overnight. I'd like to see methane-farting cows wiped from the face of the earth but what needs to happen is something more gradual; incentivise more sustainable agriculture instead of destructive meat production. Meat should be taxed like gas guzzlers. Lamb and beef are the Hummers of the food world, requiring more plant protein, land and water per kilo than any other meat. Chicken is at the opposite end of the scale and is healthier for people to.

This is how most meat production works on a global scale. Obviously farmers who rear their own lambs and eat them are causing less destruction than supermarkets who fly kiwis from Israel to Northern Europe.

:confused:
its us who put all these animals there in the first place.fuck people i say.we built this mess so we gotta sort it out.and that last high lighted sentence could equally apply to a lot of people on earth.

Maybe there should me means tested exterminations. Is that what you're advocating?

hmmm,possibly too far.but i think it was ms hives who suggested some sort of temporary sterilisation till you can prove that you really want and will look after/sustain a child.shes got my vote.like the chinese say-one family,one child
imchn30.jpg

Fair enough. It's ironic that most (in my experience) vegetarians originally quit meat because they felt it was cruel to eat animals though.

Yes, of course. Killing animals is generally distasteful to be and I'd love to live in a world where that was all we had to worry about. Most of those vegetarians you met live a lifestyle supported by the brutalization and exploitation of humans in factories little better than battery farms with the side effects of human deaths from pollution by unregulated industry. ie a typical western life enjoyed by us.
It's a bit much to expect the world to care for and empathize with other species when we're still on course to kill swathes of our own. Climate change will kill animals and humans alike.

:confused:
its us who put all these animals there in the first place.fuck people i say.we built this mess so we gotta sort it out.and that last high lighted sentence could equally apply to a lot of people on earth.

My point is that the fate of these artificially bred species is a side issue. The more we keep breeding them for slaughter and meeting the rising demand for meat from developing countries the sooner these animals will die horribly in climate chaos along with an awful lot of humans.
The best thing to do would be to stop breeding them as we increasingly switch from meat to plant production.

Me: They're a waste of land, water and food.

You: fuck people...... and that last high lighted sentence could equally apply to a lot of people on earth.

This is starting to sound like fuel for the 'Vegetarians = misanthropes' fire.
But we do need to slow down population growth.

this is starting to sound like fuel for the 'Vegetarians = misanthropes' fire.

didnt you read my sig!?
accept the rest of your point though,im not gonna suggest eveyone give up meat cause its not gonna happen but if people cut it down to once or twice a week im sure it would help a lot.unfortunately it looks like going the other way,as china/india etc get richer they're gonna decide they wanna eat as much meat as the west does...

meat_consumption_p5EmajrRxioC.gif

Attempting to limit peoples' meat consumption is just not politically possible, I would say, without dictatorship, war or some other disaster that directly affects the status quo. The only politically realistic way out of "climate chaos" is technology. It might not work, but it's the only option we have until we're actually in the thick of it, in which case a whole host of other options (like rationing) will open up

Attempting to limit peoples' meat consumption is just not politically possible, I would say, without dictatorship, war or some other disaster that directly affects the status quo. The only politically realistic way out of "climate chaos" is technology. It might not work, but it's the only option we have until we're actually in the thick of it, in which case a whole host of other options (like rationing) will open up
You could approach it from the supply side.

So, in summation, if you eat meat you're a big meanie an you will die of cancer

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back