Vegans (1 Viewer)

Stephen

Since 1999
It´s been awhile since i saw one of these....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7301188.stm

Vegan diet 'help' for arthritis

_44498455_meatbbc_203.jpg
Meat was off the menu for half of those in the study group

Rheumatoid arthritis patients may be able to reduce their high risk of heart attacks and strokes with a gluten-free, vegan diet, a study suggests.
Heart attacks and strokes are among the leading causes of death for sufferers, as the inflammation caused by the disease impacts upon the arteries.
But an Arthritis Research and Therapy study found those who pursued a vegan regime had less "bad" cholesterol.
By clogging arteries, this is seen as a key risk factor for heart problems.
Rheumatoid Arthritis affects around 350,000 people in the UK.
Millet and sesame
But researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm say this risk could be reduced through a diet which excludes animal products and gluten - found in wheat, oats, rye and barley.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
A vegan diet may be helpful in reducing cholesterol, but it is difficult to get enough of some important nutrients on a vegan diet
end_quote_rb.gif

Arthritis Research Campaign

They placed 38 volunteers on the diet, in which protein accounted for 10% of daily energy intake, carbohydrate 60% and fat for 30%.
It included nuts, sunflower seeds, fruit and vegetables, millet and corn. Sesame milk provided a daily source of calcium.
A further 28 volunteers followed a healthy diet with approximately the same proportions of protein, carbohydrate and fat.
Saturated fats were not to make up more than 10% of daily energy intake, and wholegrain products were to be chosen as often as possible.
Those on the vegan diet showed a decrease in the total level of cholesterol and specifically a reduction in the amount of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), also known as "bad cholesterol".
In contrast, those on the non-vegan diet showed no significant variations in these levels.
The researchers pointed to a "large body of evidence" suggesting that these changes were beneficial when it comes to preventing blockage of the arteries and cardiovascular disease.
The vegan volunteers also had a lower Body Mass Index (BMI) at the end of the 12 month period, while the control group remained the same.
The Arthritis Research Campaign, which is currently looking into how statins may reduce cardiovascular risks for sufferers, said the study was of interest but said the role of diet could be exaggerated. "However we do know that, for example, eating oily fish can reduce inflammation, and risk factors for developing the condition include high consumption of red meat and low consumption of fruit and vegetables, so diet does play a role - however limited," a spokeswoman said. But the charity also sounded a note of warning: "A vegan diet may be helpful in reducing cholesterol, but it is difficult to get enough of some important nutrients on a vegan diet."

Vegans = total winners

Thing # 764 that makes it ok to be vegan:

1 part flour
1 part cocoa
1 part stork
2 parts sugar
Egg replacer (I use 4 for 250 g sugar)
Good pinch baking powder
Dash of vanilla shit
Some chopped mixed nuts
Some plain chocolate chips

Melt marg, mix in sugar, then egg replacer, then vanilla nuts and chips

Mix flour, cocoa and baking powder together and sift it into the wet mix

Mix it well, put it into a greased up dish and lash it in a hot (180c) oven for 15-20 minutes.

RESIST! Allow to cool properly.

Eat

Drool. It's kind of crunchy on the outside but rich chocolatey mulsh on the inside.

Re: Vegans = total winners

Thing # 764 that makes it ok to be vegan:

1 part flour
1 part cocoa
1 part stork
2 parts sugar
Egg replacer (I use 4 for 250 g sugar)
Good pinch baking powder
Dash of vanilla shit
Some chopped mixed nuts
Some plain chocolate chips

Melt marg, mix in sugar, then egg replacer, then vanilla nuts and chips

Mix flour, cocoa and baking powder together and sift it into the wet mix

Mix it well, put it into a greased up dish and lash it in a hot (180c) oven for 15-20 minutes.

RESIST! Allow to cool properly.

Eat

Drool. It's kind of crunchy on the outside but rich chocolatey mulsh on the inside.

What do all you vegans thing about margarine?

Personally I think the stuff is poison, I'ts a shame to eat healthily otherwise and then resort to something made in a factory.

Would any of you consider making an exception and using butter occasionally?

Personally I think the stuff is poison, I'ts a shame to eat healthily otherwise and then resort to something made in a factory.

Do you know what? I fucking love butter. I miss it so much. I'd eat butter as a treat if my mates milked their cow and made it for me (I've done this with my friends who brought me eggs from their chickens).

You get used to not having butter though, and there are vegan spreads that are actually tasty enough and free from hydrogenated oils and artifical additives and shit. Is butter not made in a factory though?

Yep. It's made of potato starch, tapioca flour and some other shit and it seems to work! I haven't really used it that often though, and this is pretty much my first adventure in baking since forever.

I've picked it up in health food shops in Dublin. This is the brand I'm using for the brownies

orgran_noegg.jpg

Do you know what? I fucking love butter. I miss it so much. I'd eat butter as a treat if my mates milked their cow and made it for me (I've done this with my friends who brought me eggs from their chickens).
How strict would your average vegan be on this? I mean if hindus dont have a problem eating butter...

You get used to not having butter though, and there are vegan spreads that are actually tasty enough and free from hydrogenated oils and artifical additives and shit. Is butter not made in a factory though?
I'd say processed rather than made, unlike margerine which is made from sump oil and hydrogenated snot.

But researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm say this risk could be reduced through a diet which excludes animal products and gluten - found in wheat, oats, rye and barley.
o.gif

Gluten-free and vegan though, jayzus. Still, if my arthritis ever got as bad as my granny's was I'd be up for anything.

you can replace margarine and other fats in baking with purees. for example:
put about half a cup of chopped dried prunes and half a cup of chopped dried dates in a saucepan with about 3 desert spoons of apple juice. put on the heat, stirring all the time. this gives you a big gooey sweet mixture which will hold together brownies especially well. it makes them moist. i hate the word "moist" along with " bowels ", which it also helps with.!ninjaaaa (I also hate the phrase "back passage")

depending on what you're doing you can easily replace margarine, either with olive oil or Pure spread.

the egg replacer is amazing. its actually cheaper than eggs and you can use it in pancakes. but why oh why is there no vegan meranges?

Every time someone posts in Eirecore, all across Ireland punks of a certain age feel a strange sensation not unlike the disturbance in the force from Star Wars. It passes.

veganuary.

Yes, I think thats it. Also just designed for folks who are trying to cut their meat intake, rather than ethical vegans. I try not to be too judgey about these kinds of things, I'm far from a perfect vegan, but KFC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back