US politics (3 Viewers)

I don't know about this sweetness thing tbh

There's just an awful lot of sugar in US food in general. Like, added to normal food, it's a cultural thing. I barely notice it any more, but I did when I arrived. It's not a recent thing, if I'm out the country or Tangier Island or something, and a little old lady is making some class of a meal in exactly the same way she's made it for the last 70 years, there's still masses of sugar in it.

In the same way that French food tends to be quite buttery, it's just a thing that pervades.

Alternatively, Irish food is fierce stingy with sugar?

There's just an awful lot of sugar in US food in general. Like, added to normal food, it's a cultural thing. I barely notice it any more, but I did when I arrived. It's not a recent thing, if I'm out the country or Tangier Island or something, and a little old lady is making some class of a meal in exactly the same way she's made it for the last 70 years, there's still masses of sugar in it.

In the same way that French food tends to be quite buttery, it's just a thing that pervades.

I tell you what we're not stingy with, unlike the yanks. Salt in the fucking butter.

I mean, if that’s your experience, sure.
But when I think of American food, I think fajitas, bbq ribs, jambalaya, pizza, mac & cheese, cheeseburgers, cheesesteaks, po’boys, crabcakes, tacos, buffalo wings, fried chicken, chicken fried steak(!), lobster (lobstah!) rolls, tacos. And I can’t think of any extra sugar in any of them. Except maybe some bbq sauces?

I don’t want to say any of y’all have done America wrong, but maybe consider a trip to a taco stand, a rib shack, a pizza joint or gumbo shop on your next trip.
I feel almost bad you came all this way and didn’t have good food.

Goddamnit, I want to go to Atlanta now and eat nothing but bbq and chicken & waffles.

Ah here. Don't go changing my butter. I fork out extra to buy Kerrygold, which is the only Irish butter for sale out here as far as I know.
There is no other irish butter ! :)
The Bord Bia lads or whoever have done a great job making sure it's everywhere.

What are you paying for Kerrygold?

It's about $3.50 for an 8oz. pack where I am

I mean, if that’s your experience, sure.
But when I think of American food, I think fajitas, bbq ribs, jambalaya, pizza, mac & cheese, cheeseburgers, cheesesteaks, po’boys, crabcakes, tacos, buffalo wings, fried chicken, chicken fried steak(!), lobster (lobstah!) rolls, tacos. And I can’t think of any extra sugar in any of them. Except maybe some bbq sauces?

I don’t want to say any of y’all have done America wrong, but maybe consider a trip to a taco stand, a rib shack, a pizza joint or gumbo shop on your next trip.
I feel almost bad you came all this way and didn’t have good food.

Goddamnit, I want to go to Atlanta now and eat nothing but bbq and chicken & waffles.

Yeah, like... if I'm buying street food then it's Afghan or Mexican or something. In my eyes. Not really "American", in whatever arbitrary way I've somehow defined American.

But if you buy a loaf of sliced bread here for example, there's a heap of sugar in it to the point that it tastes sweet.

Or with meat, they'd often do this candying thing. Lots of food has sugary sauces poured on them.

I'd agree with the thumped zeitgeist, that american foods are sweeter than normal in general. But I'd also not really be able to define "American foods", nor do I like food in general. So, probably on suspect ground.

There is no other irish butter ! :)
The Bord Bia lads or whoever have done a great job making sure it's everywhere.

What are you paying for Kerrygold?

It's about $3.50 for an 8oz. pack where I am

It's unclear. So, I have special rules about buying things that are most likely too expensive: that is forget the price immediately. This applies to everything to do with bikes, booze, and recently to a pair of Red Wing boots I bought.

All these things get purchased, and nothing more is said on the matter.

I am blessing myself the way my granny did when I told her I was dating a Jewish girl

(furiously and mumbling prayers)

I used to be skinny, when I was riding a lot. Italian Mammies would start having conniption fits when I walked into their house. SIT DOWN. EAT. YOU PRICK.

People in work would be leaving "manorexia" articles pulled out of magazines on my desk.

I laughed it off until the medic pulled me aside and told me 140lbs wasn't acceptable for someone who's a bit over 6 foot tall. And my wedding ring fell off my finger and I almost lost the bloody thing.

Meh. Still don't like food.

I used to be skinny, when I was riding a lot. Italian Mammies would start having conniption fits when I walked into their house. SIT DOWN. EAT. YOU PRICK.

People in work would be leaving "manorexia" articles pulled out of magazines on my desk.

I laughed it off until the medic pulled me aside and told me 140lbs wasn't acceptable for someone who's a bit over 6 foot tall. And my wedding ring fell off my finger and I almost lost the bloody thing.

Meh. Still don't like food.

Fuck, I have literally been more than twice the man you were.

Maybe they were secretly adding sugar to your food

My wedding ring started to fall off my finger after our first was born and I wasn't playing so much music anymore - I guess I lost muscle off my fingers from lack of exercise. Stays on these days

My wedding ring started to fall off my finger after our first was born and I wasn't playing so much music anymore - I guess I lost muscle off my fingers from lack of exercise. Stays on these days
My wedding ring falls off when my hands are cold.

So far, Bernie has received the most amount of votes and Bernie and Pete have the same amount of final delegates. Pete has the highest amount of "State Delegate Equivalents" who are the people who decide the final delegates or something stupid. It's just the stupid US system, you gotta live with it, we'll see who actually wins.

lol wtf

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back