US politics (8 Viewers)

I didn't realise how much doing a good breathe in through the nostrils before launching into your point annoyed me until I watched this. I blame Trump. I think that everything he does enrages me like a 13 year old boy who's told he's not as clever as he thinks he might be, and there's some class of Pavolian spill-over that associates every action of that fat orange cunt with hatred.

:inhales sharply through nostrils and prepares self for next point:

It was kind of cool that she gave a direct shout out to my employer as Kafkaesque. Just saying.

I guess I agree with her points. She has that stank of someone who's really studied EXTRA HARD in her economics and MBA, and really really buys into that model of the world though. Cash rules everything around me. Bring the money. She talks as if there isn't a layer below cash, that money isn't this imaginary construct that we bolt onto things to try to figure out how to barter better. You can, if you're a fucking government running a society, do things underneath the level of money. Money is a veneer that's put on top, it's not even correlated to the value of something (eg gold etc) any more. It's totally arbitrary, defined by the state.

If you're a state and you're figuring out how to fund, or realise the value of, an investment there's other ways than gathering up shekels or sea shells or fucking US Dollars, since you literally make these things and can make the rules however you like.

People who figured out quantitative easing understood this. You can just drop one level of abstration down, print more money, and see what happens. It's not a tricky concept.

She's forcing this model of fiat currency (which is fine, I've no problem with fiats, or currency) onto a societal problem that is much deeper, and she's reaching into VCs, angel investors, and various other deus ex machina bullshit to magic her way out of it.

Nope. Take your MBA and your *inhales sharply through nostrils* magical thinking and reliance on rich people whom you are simulataniously trying to speak directly to, as well as vaguely guilt into sponsoring some poor bastard looking for an investment, and fuck off.
I'm not too sure what you're angry at here. If i recall her book correctly I remember thinking she was far too kind to silicon valley types in it and not scorching the earth enough, but I gave her a pass because I figured she's also writing for Americans. Hard arguments against capitalism can be found elsewhere but America over 40 is too stuck in the financialized system to listen to them ("WHAT ABOUT STALIN? CHECK MATE. THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE."). I don't especially care about the TED talk because it's a TED talk.

I mean, i'm not an economist but my laymans understanding of quantitative easing is that it makes the rich richer (we did not give freshly printed money to the poor after 2008, we handed it back to the people who caused the crisis in the first place), which is why it's seen as a lovely solution by those with their hands on the levers of power every-time capitalism fails - it forces austerity on the poorest; who are acutely aware that no matter what is "underneath" the veneer, if they don't have enough of it this month then they're out on the street.

Anyway, we'll see how well Bernie does and how the standard democratic establishment reacts.

im not sure how seriously i can take an article that uses the term 'one fourth' instead of 'one quarter' or even 'a quarter'. maybe its been (poorly) translated?
I'll write you an add-on for your browser that replaces "one fourth" with "one quarter" if that's the hill you want to die on here.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure what you're angry at here. If i recall her book correctly I remember thinking she was far too kind to silicon valley types in it and not scorching the earth enough, but I gave her a pass because I figured she's also writing for Americans. Hard arguments against capitalism can be found elsewhere but America over 40 is too stuck in the financialized system to listen to them ("WHAT ABOUT STALIN? CHECK MATE. THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE."). I don't especially care about the TED talk because it's a TED talk.

I mean, i'm not an economist but my laymans understanding of quantitative easing is that it makes the rich richer (we did not give freshly printed money to the poor after 2008, we handed it back to the people who caused the crisis in the first place), which is why it's seen as a lovely solution by those with their hands on the levers of power every-time capitalism fails - it forces austerity on the poorest; who are acutely aware that no matter what is "underneath" the veneer, if they don't have enough of it this month then they're out on the street.

Anyway, we'll see how well Bernie does and how the standard democratic establishment reacts.

I'll write you an add-on for your browser that replaces "one fourth" with "one quarter" if that's the hill you want to die on here.

Tnx Lili

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back