US politics (7 Viewers)

f1mi9wax3dd41.jpg

Finland as well

He's one of these guys that's in here at 4:30am, leaves after dark.
I think we need people like that. Like we need all sorts of people.

Yeah, I keep seeing this argument. I don't think it's valid at all. I'd put money on that guy works like that because he chooses to. He is trying to keep his business together, and running well. That's his project, his baby, he enjoys it. He works like this not to make a billion dollars. He would work like that even if the company "only" made millions.

People who work extremely hard don't do so to make billions of dollars. In some (vanishingly rare) cases that's the outcome of those actions, but it's ~never the intent.

I'm not saying that if you choose to work very hard, and make a lot of sacrifices and take risks, you don't deserve to potentially have things work out for you. I'm not saying that all wealth is bad, but when you get into the billions category it's not acceptable any more.

If a company gets too large and occupies an entire industry say, it (should be) hit with a monopolies charge and broken up. This is because it's not helping society in general, it's damaging society. Focusing billions of dollars in the hands of a single person damages society generally, and serves no useful purpose.

I think even the laziest prick in a society deserves to have a house over their head, food in their belly and medical problems dealt with.

There's a good book called The Entrepreneurial State that comprehensively makes the argument that most innovations, research and risk-taking is completed by the state long before the final non-risky 5% of research and selling the item is creamed up by private organizations who want to pay no taxes.

And when I say "good book" I mean you can probably watch the Ted Talk version and not bother reading it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And when I say "good book" I mean you can probably watch the Ted Talk version and not bother reading it

You've put me in a very difficult position here

I don't know if I hate reading or Ted Talks more,

@7 did you write this?
I hate Timothy Egan
He thinks Amanda Knox is innocent cos his daughter went to the same school as her or something

I don't know who can beat Trump - they're all damaged or have some kind of baggage - but there's nothing new in this piece.
Everyone's 401k is doing fine and there are plenty of jobs. He's going to be hard to shift.

The thing that bugs me is that all the shit they'll throw at Bernie and Liz - blowing up the health care system and making taxpayers pay for everyone's college fees - won't even get through Congress if either of them do get elected.

We'll see how things look after NH. And Trump's exoneration.

Last edited:
I think even the laziest prick in a society deserves to have a house over their head, food in their belly and medical problems dealt with.

There's a good book called The Entrepreneurial State that comprehensively makes the argument that most innovations, research and risk-taking is completed by the state long before the final non-risky 5% of research and selling the item is creamed up by private organizations who want to pay no taxes.

cheers Lili for standing in solidarity with this Lazy Prick.

even if Sanders had been President for last few years it's hard
not to imagine congress always blocking him.

cheers Lili for standing in solidarity with this Lazy Prick.

even if Sanders had been President for last few years it's hard
not to imagine congress always blocking him.
No doubt you gotta win it all, and being the unpopular party of compromise and finger wagging doesn't get you there.

I don't care who wins the primary tbh

Only who can beat Trump - If that's Bernie or Bloomberg or Amy. Let's just do this.
I dont see replacing one billionaire with another as any kind of improvement personally but sure, happy to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I dont see replacing one billionaire with another as any kind of improvement personally but sure, happy to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Every presidential election is a Scotus election too
It matters what side is in

This election is for RBG's seat - and whether this or the next Bernie or Liz will have a shot of their policies passing SC challenges

Last edited:

I didn't realise how much doing a good breathe in through the nostrils before launching into your point annoyed me until I watched this. I blame Trump. I think that everything he does enrages me like a 13 year old boy who's told he's not as clever as he thinks he might be, and there's some class of Pavolian spill-over that associates every action of that fat orange cunt with hatred.

:inhales sharply through nostrils and prepares self for next point:

It was kind of cool that she gave a direct shout out to my employer as Kafkaesque. Just saying.

I guess I agree with her points. She has that stank of someone who's really studied EXTRA HARD in her economics and MBA, and really really buys into that model of the world though. Cash rules everything around me. Bring the money. She talks as if there isn't a layer below cash, that money isn't this imaginary construct that we bolt onto things to try to figure out how to barter better. You can, if you're a fucking government running a society, do things underneath the level of money. Money is a veneer that's put on top, it's not even correlated to the value of something (eg gold etc) any more. It's totally arbitrary, defined by the state.

If you're a state and you're figuring out how to fund, or realise the value of, an investment there's other ways than gathering up shekels or sea shells or fucking US Dollars, since you literally make these things and can make the rules however you like.

People who figured out quantitative easing understood this. You can just drop one level of abstration down, print more money, and see what happens. It's not a tricky concept.

She's forcing this model of fiat currency (which is fine, I've no problem with fiats, or currency) onto a societal problem that is much deeper, and she's reaching into VCs, angel investors, and various other deus ex machina bullshit to magic her way out of it.

Nope. Take your MBA and your *inhales sharply through nostrils* magical thinking and reliance on rich people whom you are simulataniously trying to speak directly to, as well as vaguely guilt into sponsoring some poor bastard looking for an investment, and fuck off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back