US politics (3 Viewers)

The divisions in the GOP are just too delicious

Here's a National Review columnist and Conservative thinker basically calling poor white people (their own voters, mind you) human garbage
I think it's remarkable

Emphasis mine

Chaos in the Family, Chaos in the State: The White Working Class’s Dysfunction, by Kevin D. Williamson, National Review

It is immoral because it perpetuates a lie: that the white working class that finds itself attracted to Trump has been victimized by outside forces. It hasn’t. The white middle class may like the idea of Trump as a giant pulsing humanoid middle finger held up in the face of the Cathedral, they may sing hymns to Trump the destroyer and whisper darkly about “globalists” and — odious, stupid term — “the Establishment,” but nobody did this to them. They failed themselves.

If you spend time in hardscrabble, white upstate New York, or eastern Kentucky, or my own native West Texas, and you take an honest look at the welfare dependency, the drug and alcohol addiction, the family anarchy — which is to say, the whelping of human children with all the respect and wisdom of a stray dog — you will come to an awful realization. It wasn’t Beijing. It wasn’t even Washington, as bad as Washington can be. It wasn’t immigrants from Mexico, excessive and problematic as our current immigration levels are. It wasn’t any of that.

Nothing happened to them. There wasn’t some awful disaster. There wasn’t a war or a famine or a plague or a foreign occupation. Even the economic changes of the past few decades do very little to explain the dysfunction and negligence — and the incomprehensible malice — of poor white America. So the gypsum business in Garbutt ain’t what it used to be. There is more to life in the 21st century than wallboard and cheap sentimentality about how the Man closed the factories down.

The truth about these dysfunctional, downscale communities is that they deserve to die. Economically, they are negative assets. Morally, they are indefensible. Forget all your cheap theatrical Bruce Springsteen crap. Forget your sanctimony about struggling Rust Belt factory towns and your conspiracy theories about the wily Orientals stealing our jobs. Forget your goddamned gypsum, and, if he has a problem with that, forget Ed Burke, too. The white American underclass is in thrall to a vicious, selfish culture whose main products are misery and used heroin needles. Donald Trump’s speeches make them feel good. So does OxyContin. What they need isn’t analgesics, literal or political. They need real opportunity, which means that they need real change, which means that they need U-Haul.

Good read alright, I would object to the authors use of the word 'conservative' though,the tagline

could as much read "There's an ideological chasm between the Republican Party and conservatives".

Although, I guess American conservatism is different from its European counterpart. @7 - No tomorrow , what say you?
I dunno. I mean they all adhere to Friedman and Hayek, no?
I have no idea about European conservatives beyond the Tories.

US conservatives want smaller government, lower taxes, an end to the welfare state and believe in traditional family values.

US conservatives want smaller government, lower taxes, an end to the welfare state and believe in traditional family values.

There's the true believer Buckley types who believe all that Hayek shit and who in turn believed that all Republican voters believed it too.

Except you average Republican voter didn't actually give a shit about free trade, supply side, trickle dawn whatever...

Turns out they were just racists all along.

There's the true believer Buckley types who believe all that Hayek shit and who in turn believed that all Republican voters believed it too.

Except you average Republican voter didn't actually give a shit about free trade, supply side, trickle dawn whatever...

Turns out they were just racists all along.

Yeah, I'm unsure myself. I don't think European conservatives would adhere so strictly to free market ideology, I'd put forward the various Christian Democrat parties as European conservatives, the Tories not so much. Although even with Christian Democracy there's a wide range of parties, FG are nominally our CD party but I certainly wouldn't consider them as such.

I'm not sure it's fair to paint the average Republican as racist, sure there's racists among their ranks but I feel a lot of them were sold a pup by the Republican party - guns, God and no government sticking their nose in your affairs. Just don't pay attention to the fact we're screwing you.

The free market hayekian randian thing is strain of conservatism peculiar to the US. I don't think there is any equivalent here.

I think their history as a frontier society makes that type of regged individualism possible - you'd be laughed at in most places in Europe. One need only look around in Europe to see how infantile the notion is.... a but in a country as young as the US, it's possible to fool yourself in thinking you're some John Gault character.

The free market hayekian randian thing is strain of conservatism peculiar to the US. I don't think there is any equivalent here.
It's exactly Thatcherism

Thatcher was championed by the IEA - a think thank that was essentially set up to promote Hayek's ideas - to run against Ted Heath.
She met with Hayek plenty of times, huge (yuge) fan.
She then set up the CPS to implement these ideas once in power.

Destroy the unions and implement free markets in as many industries as possible. Take power from government and give it to the individual. It's the guiding principle of her whole ideology.

Last edited:

Yeah, exactly that sort of rhetoric allied with her voting behaviour suggests that she's not just playing to the crowd but genuinely goes for this sort of thing. And if she is just playing to the crowd then she's a coward, Jewish people tend to the Democratic Party, she'd probably have to goose step into the hall to change that.
Trump has just given his speech to AIPAC and its much the same - Iran is evil, the nuclear deal is a disaster (I could have sworn I read that he was willing to let it work if elected) and Israel is the US' best friend. Every candidate is pledging to move the UScembassy to Jerusalem, I didn't realise that was such a big deal.

A statesman for our times

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

tumblr_nlslenDztV1uq5tkro5_500.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back