US politics (4 Viewers)

Good read alright, I would object to the authors use of the word 'conservative' though,the tagline

There's an ideological chasm between Trump and conservatives.

could as much read "There's an ideological chasm between the Republican Party and conservatives".

Although, I guess American conservatism is different from its European counterpart. @7 - No tomorrow , what say you?

National Review: White Working Class Communities 'Morally Indefensible... They Deserve to Die' - Breitbart

The above adds a bit more flesh to the bones of the article Nooly posted (I know that it's Breitbart presenting and they most certainly have an agenda but unfortunately the original article by Williamson is paywalled).

It is immoral because it perpetuates a lie: that the white working class that finds itself attracted to Trump has been victimized by outside forces... [N]obody did this to them. They failed themselves.... The truth about these dysfunctional, downscale communities is that they deserve to die. Economically, they are negative assets. Morally, they are indefensible... They need real opportunity, which means that they need real change, which means that they need U-Haul. If you want to live, get out of Garbutt [a blue-collar town in New York.]

I'd have to disagree that they failed themselves, years of globalisation (particularly outsourcing) have failed them, these policies pushed by both Republicans and Democrats. The Republicans only maintained support amongst the white working class because they were the least worst option.
Nice to see a whole subsection of society reduced to 'negative assets'.
The closing line is a nonsense, where exactly does Williamson propose the white working class, all of them, move to?

"Williamson seeks to rebut criticism that he and other conservatives don’t articulate any policies that would appeal to Trump’s blue collar supporters."

um....lol?

u2mux1ep8atvncsfsihs.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back