Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

I think I really prefer the digital age. I have no need for more possessions when it comes to music, film etc.
I went into a record shop at the weekend out of habit. I sure liked looking at the vinyl and lovely boxsets of albums I already own but the idea of buying them was crazy to me. Moving house twice in 3 years will do that to you.
I'm happy to be spending money every month ON music. And in a way (obviously not a fair way yet) the artists do get the money. Eg if I stream Number Of The Beast today Maiden get a few bob. If I put on my record of Number Of The Beast, they don't.

I suppose that's a unpopular, and extremely simplified, opinion.

I think I really prefer the digital age. I have no need for more possessions when it comes to music, film etc.
I went into a record shop at the weekend out of habit. I sure liked looking at the vinyl and lovely boxsets of albums I already own but the idea of buying them was crazy to me. Moving house twice in 3 years will do that to you.
I'm happy to be spending money every month ON music. And in a way (obviously not a fair way yet) the artists do get the money. Eg if I stream Number Of The Beast today Maiden get a few bob. If I put on my record of Number Of The Beast, they don't.

I suppose that's a unpopular, and extremely simplified, opinion.

What's a few bob?

3 microcents in todays money

(if you stream the Iron Maiden record every day for 270 years it would be the same as buying one album- the idea of having a streaming subscription as spending money on music unfortunately doesn't really hold up)

Have you adjusted for inflation for anto being a teen buying maiden records?

(I know it's still gonna be over 100 years)

Not unpopular with me. AFAIK the total revenue generated by recorded music is higher than it ever was (see Recorded music industry - global revenue 2022 | Statista). If your favourite act can't make a living it's not Spotify's fault
Isn't it about who's getting the revenue though?

Spotify is leveraged to make the record companies money, not the artists
The record companies own a piece of Spotify - they take their money off the subscriptions

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back