Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

We don't know how to make it happen, and we are unable to grasp it intellectually without reducing it to meaninglessness, but when we feel it we know what it is. Same as love
yeah, so its kind of an intangible, or unquantifiable thing, fair enough.

I guess I'm in the rare position of having experienced lockdowns in 2 different countries. Neither was more severe than the other, but there were slight difference between them. It just seems like the levels of misery here are vastly greater than I experienced in eastern Europe. And thats despite their covid situation being worse than ours, and the fact that they've already had their lockdown extended out to April.

I'm thinking the big difference is to do with the 5km. If that didn't exist, and I don't really see that much point in it, I think the mood would be far lighter.

I also think that even if there was no pandemic, we'd still all be miserable cos its February.

yeah, so its kind of an intangible, or unquantifiable thing, fair enough.

I guess I'm in the rare position of having experienced lockdowns in 2 different countries. Neither was more severe than the other, but there were slight difference between them. It just seems like the levels of misery here are vastly greater than I experienced in eastern Europe. And thats despite their covid situation being worse than ours, and the fact that they've already had their lockdown extended out to April.

I'm thinking the big difference is to do with the 5km. If that didn't exist, and I don't really see that much point in it, I think the mood would be far lighter.

I also think that even if there was no pandemic, we'd still all be miserable cos its February.
Are they less likely to moaning about everyone else being stupid for doing it all wrong? Or maybe you just didn't pick up on the particular local versions of passive aggressiveness?

Are they less likely to moaning about everyone else being stupid for doing it all wrong? Or maybe you just didn't pick up on the particular local versions of passive aggressiveness?
there was plenty of moaning. For example, the initial lockdown was monday-friday only, before they made it 7 days. Fucking pointless. Then they closed of certain sections of the supermarket (middle aisle stuff), except they included things like certain cleaning products, and winter clothing (hats, gloves, etc), just as they were coming into a severe cold spell. This was backtracked on. They laughed at the fact that shops got around the lockdown by opening anyway, and operating a click-and-collect service whereby you could walk into the shop, pick what you wanted to buy and bring it to the counter. Then you went outside and rang the guy in the shop telling him what you wanted to buy, and that you'd be in to collect it in 5 seconds. This system still operates. They moaned about the fact you couldn't buy alcohol or smokes at weekends. That was backtracked on. They moaned about the fact that you could buy a book in a supermarket, but not a magazine. Thats since been backtracked on. They moaned about the fact that shitloads of fines were given out for people breaking weekend curfew because there were hours-long tailbacks on the road while show was pouring it down. Not sure if they were scrapped or not.

I mean, some of the above could pass by johnny tourist who was passing through, but I think I was around enough of them to detect the general mood. Its not like they're completely not pissed off. Its just nothing like the doom and gloom of Ireland.

I mean, some of the above could pass by johnny tourist who was passing through, but I think I was around enough of them to detect the general mood. Its not like they're completely not pissed off. Its just nothing like the doom and gloom of Ireland.

if they take our doom and gloom we'll have NOTHING
(except perhaps Bono Begrudgery)

Yeah, it's just an arbitrary made up number that doesn't mean a fucking thing. Loads of people are going outside the 5km all the time anyway, and even if they weren't, there's still plenty of maggots that are slobbering all over each other in groups within the 5km regardless. Mostly young maggots that think they can't get the virus or really just don't give a shit.

there was plenty of moaning. For example, the initial lockdown was monday-friday only, before they made it 7 days. Fucking pointless. Then they closed of certain sections of the supermarket (middle aisle stuff), except they included things like certain cleaning products, and winter clothing (hats, gloves, etc), just as they were coming into a severe cold spell. This was backtracked on. They laughed at the fact that shops got around the lockdown by opening anyway, and operating a click-and-collect service whereby you could walk into the shop, pick what you wanted to buy and bring it to the counter. Then you went outside and rang the guy in the shop telling him what you wanted to buy, and that you'd be in to collect it in 5 seconds. This system still operates. They moaned about the fact you couldn't buy alcohol or smokes at weekends. That was backtracked on. They moaned about the fact that you could buy a book in a supermarket, but not a magazine. Thats since been backtracked on. They moaned about the fact that shitloads of fines were given out for people breaking weekend curfew because there were hours-long tailbacks on the road while show was pouring it down. Not sure if they were scrapped or not.
Sounds to me like the problem is that people in Ireland don't moan enough about fucking nonsense, despite how the politicians like to portray it

Sounds to me like the problem is that people in Ireland don't moan enough about fucking nonsense, despite how the politicians like to portray it
the politicians dictate what we should moan about and we fall for it hook, like and sinker. If they get us moaning about some petty shite it'll distract of from all the abhorrent human rights abuses they're willingly being a party to.

what I want most is the postal system to go back to normal. it has been so slooow since the run up to Christmas.
four weeks after being mailed from Spain my ARSEDESTROYER CD still hasn't arrived.

there should be rights classes for children from pre school age.

this should happen annually in a similar format to consent classes presented by a trained outside person.
children should be told what their rights are, given access to proper information (leaflets, websites etc.)
and told their voices always count.
there has to be real culpability for those who treat kids with less respect than adults - or worse.
with a process in place for calling out adults who are failing.

the exploitation of children's ignorance is their big weakness and knowledge would stop a lot of this.

there should be rights classes for children from pre school age.

this should happen annually in a similar format to consent classes presented by a trained outside person.
children should be told what their rights are, given access to proper information (leaflets, websites etc.)
and told their voices always count.
there has to be real culpability for those who treat kids with less respect than adults - or worse.
with a process in place for calling out adults who are failing.

the exploitation of children's ignorance is their big weakness and knowledge would stop a lot of this.
do you mean their parents? Or people other than their parents?

I don't have kids but if I did the little shits would do what their told while they're living under my roof.

But, I guarantee they'll be able to open a can of beans by the age of 7.

the politicians dictate what we should moan about and we fall for it hook, like and sinker
without trying to deconstruct what you are saying, or saying i disagree - one thing about my work is seeing how much the public dictates the public discourse - There is no doubt there is a well paid team in Dail eireann devoted to daily spin - that is documented and factual - but the relationship is not linear - the public steer more than they know.

without trying to deconstruct what you are saying, or saying i disagree - one thing about my work is seeing how much the public dictates the public discourse - There is no doubt there is a well paid team in Dail eireann devoted to daily spin - that is documented and factual - but the relationship is not linear - the public steer more than they know.

If Joe Duffy can get a second day out of something ..

its a 2-way street. Its evident the govt listens to, and are influenced by, social media. But, they tap into it and use it to their advantage. They're not thick. They gauge the general mood, they know what people are going to latch onto, and they put out soundbytes that they know will grow legs.

One recent example of this was Micheal Martin saying that half of recent arrivals into Dublin airport were returning from holidays. Twitter went fucking nuts. But, while twitter is busy going nuts over the biggest red herring related to covid, they're being distracted from a tonne of other shite that is more worthy of our outrage.

Fine Gael are fucking terrible at it though. The shite they came out with to try and besmirch sinn fein backfired in a big way.

And this is different to kite flying. Rather than trying to gauge the public mood, this is something they do when they know what the public mood is, and use that to their advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back