TTIP (3 Viewers)

logo_isds.gif

well he said that in response to the claim that it'll boost US exports...it will boost exports of stuff manufactured elsewhere so that only represents another benefit for corporations rather than US workers

Outsourcing to utterly corrupt countries where everyone knows all sorts of exploitation are definitely going to take place as a direct consequence of you sending the jobs there is really not ok though. But sure, out of sight out of mind.

Outsourcing to utterly corrupt countries where everyone knows all sorts of exploitation are definitely going to take place as a direct consequence of you sending the jobs there is really not ok though. But sure, out of sight out of mind.

Isn't half of Ireland working in outsourced jobs? Major generalisation there :)
But I know shedloads of people that are working for American corporations, doing jobs that could readily be done in Boise.

So we embargo sending jobs to countries whose governments we don't like?
I'd have thought that boosting their economies was a way of improving their lot.
Sharing the jobs around seems like a good idea. It's what the EU is based on, no?

Seems like a good deal for those working elsewhere then?
More exports, more jobs.
I'd have to think all this outsourcing that everyone complains about here isn't hated by the people who get the jobs elsewhere.
the point is that the statement was presented as a reassurance to people in the US

Well as long as the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. That's the main thing.

You took some poor lazy yank's job.

That is true.

I hear people in here complaining about immigrants coming here to take their jobs. But they don't mean me, they mean brown people.

The irony being that I have already come here and taken a job, and they seem very okay with it.

Isn't half of Ireland working in outsourced jobs? Major generalisation there :)
But I know shedloads of people that are working for American corporations, doing jobs that could readily be done in Boise.
Big companies want a European base for the European market and the tax suits them here. It's geographically as close to the US as possible and there's little chance of major political instability and everyone going on strike. We're also really good at going along with how we're told to. I don't see many other reasons.

So we embargo sending jobs to countries whose governments we don't like?
If we had any kind of morals about our own way of life yes of course. But money first, always money first.

I'd have thought that boosting their economies was a way of improving their lot.
Sometimes it can. It's definitely not cut and dry though.

Sharing the jobs around seems like a good idea. It's what the EU is based on, no?
The EU is based on many things, mainly a shared ideal and a hope that we'll all stop killing each other as we had for hundreds and hundreds of years. Jobs certainly help with that. But sure we can't even get the EU right, half of Europe want to leave it because we're all too different to each other and we're all next door, so to speak.

Look I think I know what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree but my point is that all the world doesn't work the same way and I think people don't give enough thought to the direct affect their way of life has on people they never met.

I'm mainly bitching about capitalism like it's the year 2000 I'd just read No Logo.

Well as long as the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. That's the main thing.

But hasn't there been some benefit to opening trade barriers?

Korea has been playing a stormer. The average Chinese guy is probably better off now than he was.
Nothing's perfect, but I've no problem with jobs heading to where people need them.

You make it sound like it's a benevolent world aid program. I'm pretty sure giving jobs to the needy is not the primary motivation for this

Big companies want a European base for the European market and the tax suits them here. It's geographically as close to the US as possible and there's little chance of major political instability and everyone going on strike. We're also really good at going along with how we're told to. I don't see many other reasons.

We're utterly corrupt with all sorts of exploitation going on?

You make it sound like it's a benevolent world aid program. I'm pretty sure giving jobs to the needy is not the primary motivation for this

I just take issue with the jobs thing. As a general principle I'd be a supporter of increasing trade. Open trade up and fix problems that arise.
The special rights for corporations thing sounds horrible. I think the Kochs were involved along the line with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back